Thread: Yet another 'Hollowing System' question

Yet another 'Hollowing System' question

I entered "Hollowing System'' in the search feature and received a plethora of information on my question. I'm still a little confused on one thing.

Comparing the Captive system to the Articulating system, is the major difference between the two the depth of the vessel that is being hollowed. For example, would the range of a Captive system be from 4'' to 12'' and an Articulating system be from 4'' to 20'' (depths are for comparison purposes only)?

Thank you and Merry Christmas!
    Jim

I think you have the numbers backward. A captive system such as the Jamieson:
    basic-package-img1-250x250.jpg can generally hollow deeper than an articulated arm such as the monster:
    pi_262.gif

because there is more resistance to torque. The articulated arm might be a bit easier to use for some, especially for getting under the shoulder. Just to confuse there are 'captive' systems that try to capture by using a square shafted boring bar and a gate in place of the tool rest. While I have never used such, I would assume that their ability to stop torque would be less than that of most articulated arms.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

3. I agree with Thom's assessment here. I have the Monster Articulated system, and put a larger boring bar on it, and it serves what I have done to date, but if you want to go really deep, for anything over about 13 inches, then you should get a captive system like Jamieson or the Steve Sinner system for really large and deep hollowforms and vases.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thank you Thom Sturgill for the clarification on the depth capabilities. I'm not surprised if I had the comparison reversed, after reading 6 years of postings on the subject my summary is becoming cloudy.

Are you referring to the Carter System when you talk about the square boring bar and gate?

Jim, it all boils down to what you want to hollow. I got bit by the hollowing bug a few years back. I started with the small Monster, then the large Monster and finally the Jamieson system. I like all three systems. I probably use the large Monster the most. I got the large hollow forms out of my system and mainly do small ones now, if any at all.
    Joe

That is one example. JT Turning tools (which also makes a fantastic looking articulated arm called the 'Gizmo') makes one they call the 'Trans-former'. It uses a square shaft and articulated cutter head. Gizmo uses the same boring bar/cutting head.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

....and the beefier the articulated rig is....the deeper you can effectively hollow. I can put a 3/4" bar in my Gizmo and even at 12" there is no vibration or worry. I guarantee I could go deeper than the Monster rig, but that is just in the shear mass of the unit itself. I haven't had the need to go deeper yet, but I believe the bar is 18-20" long. For super deep vessels, the main concern is boring bar vibration and deflection when the wood is engaged. That is why big captive units like Steve Sinner makes are suitable for these vessels. Steve's boring bars are massive too.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

TheOKSpindoctor makes one that can go really deep. Seem to remember seeing where one went 33" deep. By far the beefiest one that I've seen on the market!