Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backyard Spotlight

Backyard Spotlight

We are experiencing some minor problems with people visiting our backyard. We found a small homeless camp, folks are hunting, cutting trees, shooting weapons, made an archery range, stealing yard tools, etc. I spoke with one of the neighbors living below us and he expressed the belief that people living down there considered "the woods" community property and they refuse to honor property boundaries. I have cleared "the woods" 2/3 the way down and that effectively exposed all the former "pathways" and opened the entire yard up to view from our home. Now I need a spotlight to illuminate about 400 to 500 feet down when we hear people down there. Any ideas on a light we can purchase? It would be used when we hear them. Thanks.

What about one of those super bright handheld spotlights? Not sure where you get one.

trip wires and tin can noisemakers should do the trick

Blog Entries
    Is there any local law enforcement?

Fire and health issues might get some interest.

Maybe an "anonymous tip" to Homeland Security. Get your local elected officials off their duffs.

Maybe work with the neighbors to make some loud noises in the middle of the night so folks find this an inhospitable location.

A few M80s at hourly intervals during the night might get them to move. Chain saws and falling trees in the early morning might also be effective.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'd be calling the police constantly on trespassers. I have had that problem, people coming onto my property, stealing off of my fruit trees, dumping, etc. So I complained to the police and they'd drive by and go in and either warn or arrest people on my property. I make sure it's well signed and anyone who goes in there is subject to police intervention. Once everyone gets the message, the problem largely goes away.

We live on a very steep grade, so even if the police drive by the house the trespassers will literally be 100' lower than street level. If they go to the parallel street below us, they cannot see through the thicket up to where the trespassers go. I left the lowest 1/3 of the thicket and have no intention of clearing that. The neighbors down there won't help since they are the trespassers who feel they have the right to the land. The police say it isn't a problem; the mayor says the police have a handle on it (she lives on the street at the bottom that runs parallel to our street). If she made the police act, it would literally be acting against her neighbors. And the inaction allows the folks to do as they wish. I am installing motion lights but expect them to be damaged. I will order one of the hand-held spotlights.

Sounds like you need some IED's, just kidding.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Since not doing anything about tresspassers can actually create a legally recognized easement or eventual loss of title you might consider law suit against local authorities. The violations are " open and notorious" and and you are being denied help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Since not doing anything about trespassers can actually create a legally recognized easement or eventual loss of title you might consider law suit against local authorities. The violations are "open and notorious" and and you are being denied help.
    I might go that route if the problem persists. One reason for clearing the land of brush, dead trees, wild vines, etc. is to "open" the land so that I can have it surveyed and fenced. We plan to place a pasture fence up next year. That should eliminate any doubt where the property lines lay. The neighbors are arguing there is a "paper road" otherwise known as an easement on the property. It's not recorded on the deed or the PVA site. Fortunately, they do record many "paper roads" or easements on the PVA site (some just two houses away), so it's lore, not fact. There is a deed restriction on the size of my home, but nothing else. They likely won't like the fence.

I don't understand why neighbors think they have rights to go on neighboring land they don't own. I have problems with snowmobilers driving on the edge of my property in the winter. It is illegal to ride there, but not much I can do about it. I've considered large boulders, but the expense would be more than I want to spend. The driving on my property doesn't bother me, but the noise sure does. If I force them off my property they'll just ride on the other side of the street and still make noise. Calling the sheriff won't do any good as it won't be an emergency and they'll be gone before a deputy shows up.

Personally, I prefer a more placid approach (some might call it passive-aggressive). Have you thought of cultivating some native plants along the back edge of your cleared property, more specifically poison ivy. It's a really pretty plant, turns a nice color in the fall and grows easily.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by David Dockstader View Post
    Personally, I prefer a more placid approach (some might call it passive-aggressive). Have you thought of cultivating some native plants along the back edge of your cleared property, more specifically poison ivy. It's a really pretty plant, turns a nice color in the fall and grows easily.
    My wife mentioned lining the fence line with blackberry plants. The plus is that birds love them. We had them in Washington State and they are quite formidable.

Perhaps, I missed something, but can you not put up a basic barbed wire fence with signage at the property line? Then, if the trespassers cut the fence, report it, repair it and try a night camera in a nearby tree that is motion activated. You might get lucky and have proof for the police to make an arrest if they get caught cutting it again. They probably follow a known trail to get in.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 12-06-2015 at 6:50 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Guys, let's keep the responses to legal suggestions......

The make some really bright lights such as this one. spot.png that you can purchase at locations like this one. It is 500,000 candle power and has a range of about 1/2 mile. It should illuminate your situation.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Our farm has one horse pasture visible from my upstairs bedroom window. I used to use a fairly big spotlight to check on things. These days I've gone to LED flashlights which work better and last far longer. I found some with a great spot that use three D-cells. I can easily see about 700 ft to the end of the field at night.

I also have some 5x night vision binoculars which are great for spotting wildlife too.

The law here requires the landowner to put up No Trespassing/No Hunting signs on at least the corners of the property in order to have legal recourse. I like a sign I saw once: "IF YOU CAN READ THIS YOU ARE WITHIN RANGE".

Game cameras are good for evidence as long as you also have the appropriate signs to warn the poor trespassers (stupid law).

JKJ