Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scroll Saw owners....Dewalt or straight to Excalibur

Scroll Saw owners....Dewalt or straight to Excalibur

Been looking into both of these and wondering if you have a strong opinion one way or the other

Scott,

When I bought mine, my wife showed an interest in scroll sawing. Thus, the one major reason I chose Excalibur was the table remains flat while the blade tilts. To me, it makes scroll sawing easier. There are many satisfied users of both saws.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Also, there are a number of good scroll saws. The Hawk is one.

The DeWalt is a good scroll saw if the throat is big enough for you. I haven't used the Excalibur but it gets good reviews. I think it's more expensive than the DeWalt.

Scroll saws come available on Craigslist fairly often in this area. I think a lot of people start scroll sawing and then give it up. Then the saw goes on Craigslist at a good price.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Also if you go for the DeWalt, there are a couple times a year deals from various resellers in which the stand and light are thrown in for free.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have had the opportunity to use both from various members of our woodworking club but can't justify one in the shop for it's infrequent use. That said, the Excalibur seems much better for the novice to use. You don't usually see them for sale on the used market like you do the DeWalt models. Aren't they a bit pricey though?

The Dewalt is the only scroll saw I have used and I have been very happy with it.
    Lori K

i've been using the 30" excalibur for several years - it is a good saw - have had no problems - dependable - and as ken said - the feature of the table staying flat and the blade arm tilting is a real plus for larger pieces. i cannot compare it to the delta - - but before this one i used a hegner which i feel is a slightly better quality machine, but i like the extra depth of the excalibur
    jerry
    jerry

I have both. The dewalt does a better job at dampening the vibration and it has a higher rpm. The excaliber table is large, but the coated table flakes off. My excaliber needed repair at 6 months, my dewalt lasted about a year before breaking down. Overall, I prefer the dewalt, but my nest one will be a Hegner. Personally, I don't think the excaliber is worth the money over the dewalt.

So much depends on if you are just starting or upgrading and what kind of projects you want to do. If you are just starting you can get a used one to work with for awhile. The Excalibur is a great machine...it would be my choice.

I have a Hegner that is 19 years old and never needed a repair. But, parts are still available. I do Intarsia and cut thicker woods. If i did fret work, I would get something different.

Like other tools, everyone has their personal favorite.

The Excalibur is a very nice saw, but pricey. If just starting in scroll sawing I think a DeWalt is the minimum priced saw that you should get. My best saw is a DeWalt type 1 and it is serving me well. I also have a Delta Q3 that I'm happy with, but the blade grips and tension adjustments are better on the DeWalt saw, so I tend to use the DeWalt more. My next saw will be an Excalibur, because I'm now scrolling about 5 hours a day. The RBI Hawk and Hegner saws are supposed to be good too, but I have no experience with them. If you buy a lesser model saw than these you likely will not enjoy scroll sawing and will give it up.

I'm doing Compound Cut Christmas Ornaments and Reindeer right now. Two photos are attached. I'm really hooked on doing compound cutting.

Charley
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 12-09-2015 at 8:50 AM. Reason: added picture

Scrollsaw magazine did a review of scrollsaws a few months (or a year or so ago) that seemed fairly comprehensive. Best was that it was grouped into three price ranges.

Charlie;
    Great job. I love doing compound figures also. Where did you get the patterns for the ones in the photos?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Also, there are a number of good scroll saws. The Hawk is one.

The DeWalt is a good scroll saw if the throat is big enough for you. I haven't used the Excalibur but it gets good reviews. I think it's more expensive than the DeWalt.

Scroll saws come available on Craigslist fairly often in this area. I think a lot of people start scroll sawing and then give it up. Then the saw goes on Craigslist at a good price.

Mike
    That's how I got my DeWalt Type 1 in pristine condition!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colombo View Post
    Charlie;
    Great job. I love doing compound figures also. Where did you get the patterns for the ones in the photos?

Jim
    Jim,

The smaller ornaments came from a book by Diana Thompson called "Compound Christmas Ornaments for the Scroll Saw". Her first book is out of print, but her second book (same title), is available in the larger book stores now. I just received my copy last week.
    It has a few ornaments from the first book, plus a whole bunch of really interesting new ones. At the back of the book there are also reindeer and sleigh plans, and a nativity plan complete with all of the figures.

The larger 2 piece ornaments in the photos were printed in a "Creative Woodworks and Crafts Christmas edition magazine about 15 years ago. I have misplaced my copy, so I can't tell you the year at the moment, but back around 2000 if I'm remembering correctly.

The reindeer that I make are from an image on Mathias Wandel's website www.woodgears.ca , but I reworked it a bit, cleaned it up, and resized it so it will fit easily on 1 X 2 stock. This original size is about 3" high and the one that I make the most of. I put multiple copies of the plan on an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet so that I can print full sheets of them at a time. This year I created 3 other smaller sizes of the same reindeer pattern, with the smallest reindeer being just over 1" high. You can't make this size from pine, they fall apart too easily. I'm now using poplar. I'm making dangle type earrings from these little ones, drilling a tiny hole just below the antlers to attach the ear pieces. I'm also making pins by epoxying jewelry pin mounts to the right side of the middle sizes of the reindeer. Their eyes and red nose (if Rudolph) are made easily by black and red permanent markers. I'm making the large reindeer in about 8 minutes now. The smaller ones take longer because I have to be more careful to follow the lines closer.

I've been making and giving away these reindeer every Christmas for the past 5 years. This is Christmas #6.

I don't sell anything that I make, my extended family consumes most of the ornaments that I don't put on my own trees, but I give the reindeer away to any woman, cashier, waitress, sales girl, nurse, etc. who helps me in some way during the Christmas Season (I've saturated my family with them). I also give them to children if they are old enough (8+) and will treat them responsibly, IF and only IF, their parents allow it. This year I have made 337 total reindeer of all 4 sizes so far, and have already given about 2/3 of them away. The women at my local Lowes call me "Reindeer Charley" now, because I made sure that they each have one. I take a hand full with me every time I leave the house. I don't usually offer them to men because most aren't interested or don't appreciate them. Men woodworkers do appreciate them and I will give them one if they ask me for one. As someone helps me and we are nearing the end of the transaction I palm a reindeer in my right hand. When the transaction ends, I wish them a "Merry Christmas" and hold out my right hand, palm down, toward them. When they reach out toward me I drop the reindeer in their hand. I've had many positive comments and quite a few hugs as a result, and always a huge bright smile and a "Thank you" from them. One harried waitress not only thanked me and hugged me, but said "you just made my day, thank you so much". I got kissed on the cheek too. Several others have asked "Are you Santa Claus"? And I replied "No, just a helper". Making these puts me in the Christmas giving spirit way before Christmas, and giving them away beginning around Thanksgiving and ending when I run out of them or the end of Christmas Week, which ever comes first IS MY CHRISTMAS. I really enjoy doing it.

Charley

My students abuse the dewalts and they still keep on going. I think there great machines. That said, I have a powermatic 95 for my personal use, but id have no problem owning a dewalt at home too.