Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to clamp?

Question How to clamp?

I need to attach two boards using biscuits. The problem is the "normal clamping surface" is too long for clamps - about 70". I have band clamps that are large enough but I don't think I will get enough pressure to bring the joint home. I have attached a couple pics to show the problem (I hope).

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. One note, I could attach to the two center dividers and use them as a clamping point - Yes? Or would this put too much pressure on the joint? These joints are also biscuits.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Use two of your longest clamps, say 36". Put the dead ends together, hooked together.
    The adjustor ends will be on both ends of your project. Just tighten one of them.
    Pipe clamps work the best, but F- style bar clamps will do it also.

Or any combination of lenghts to get you too what length you need.

A trip to the hardware store in order

I have used a pipe coupling to put 2 pipe clamps together for longer glue up jobs.
    bob boake-Tulsa OK

Can't have enough clamps

Sounds like it's time to buy some 6' clamps....

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Boake
    I have used a pipe coupling to put 2 pipe clamps together for longer glue up jobs.
    "I shoulda had a V-8" I have pipe clamps that aren't quite long enough but a pipe coupler would work. Thanks!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Lets see if this makes sense........

If you get a 2x2 (for example) and make it a little wider than the base piece of wood you are clamping. Using short clamps, Clamp the 2 by across the base piece about 6 inches from the edge of the upright to be glued. Then, using your other clamps, use the 2 by as a biting point and the side to be clamped and squeeze......

Man, sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words......I hope this makes sense.

Make sure the 2 by is soft wood or put something between the 2 by and the surface to prevent surface marking.

Use pipe clamps. Get long enough pieces of pipe to span your job.

Yep, pipe clamp couplers work well but, just in case you want another method, lay a clamp from each end and measure the distance that they are short by. Use a piece of 1x2 or 1x3 about 8" longer than the defict and drill a 1" hole near each end. Put the dead ends of your clamps in each hole and tighten the adjustable ends on your workpiece.

George

You don't have to make anything with this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dependng on the length of your bench this might work. On the end away from your joint clamp a batten across your bench. Rest the work against that piece. Make a pair of long thin wedges for the other end. Clamp one of the wedges to the bench with a gap btween it and the work. Use the other one in the gap to apply the pressure to the workpiece.

I have had the same problem and solved it by using 2X4's.

Take a 2x4 that is 8' long and attach a cleat near one end. Now attach another cleat at a point on the 2x4 so that you can place your panels with a little space left for two wedges. Use the wedges to apply pressure to close the gap.

I keep a couple of 2x4's in my shop just for this purpose.
    Tipp City, Ohio

Make it EASY on yourself!

Byron,
    I went through the add-a-clamp agony for years! Get yourself a Kreig Pocket Hole jig and throw away your blood pressure pills. If necessary, use a couple of small clamps to hold a "stop strip" to your project. Then take your pre-drilled shelves to the sides, apply your glue, crank in the screws, remove your "stop strip" and you're done.

I LOVE my DeWalt Biscuit cutter but it is now "retired" to my tool museum.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Thompson
    Get yourself a Kreig Pocket Hole jig and throw away your blood pressure pills.
    Word. I'm new at this whole woodworking thing, but I think I made two smart decisions (thanks to reading advice like this here at SMC):
    1. EZ Smart Guide
    2. Kreg jig

This afternoon I had a couple of hours to "play" and managed to turn a sheet of birch ply and some poplar into the carcass of a rolling tool cabinet. The obligatory photos are forthcoming. T'ain't fine furniture, but it is sturdy and functional.

I've used the "double clamp" trick before and found it a little cumbersome. It works, but it takes a little finesse.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers --
    joined in the serious business of keeping our food,
    shelter, clothing and loved ones from combining
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Thompson
    Byron,
    I went through the add-a-clamp agony for years! Get yourself a Kreig Pocket Hole jig and throw away your blood pressure pills. If necessary, use a couple of small clamps to hold a "stop strip" to your project. Then take your pre-drilled shelves to the sides, apply your glue, crank in the screws, remove your "stop strip" and you're done.

I LOVE my DeWalt Biscuit cutter but it is now "retired" to my tool museum.

Dale T.
    Dale, I'm a strong proponent of pocket holes but in this case all sides show and I didn't want pocket holes showing. Before you say it, I have never bought pocket hole plugs. They would be visible as well, as I am staining this project. Thanks for your idea though; honestly I hadn't even considered pocket hole. BTW I'm going through the Kreig upgrade dilemma - are you?

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1