Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: drilling holes with drill chuck

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    I thought I would have a play with the Jacob's chucks today on my Vicmarc VL150 lathe. Drilling Sierra pen blanks that have been turned to 19 mm dia between centers then held in a Vermec ER32 Collet Chuck on the head stock, and conventional setup with MT2 Jacobs chuck with drill bit in the tail stock, using the drilling sequence I posted above.

Jacobs chuck #1 - best I could achieve was a 0.5 to 0.6 mm off set hole on the hole exit end of the pen blank. i.e. the resulting tube wall thickness difference from thinnest to thickest ranged between 1 & 1.2 mm. I was becoming concerned as I had achieved far better results in the past then the penny dropped - different Jacobs chuck!

Jacobs chuck #2 - far superior result with far less than 0.1 mm off set hole on the hole exit end of the pen blank. i.e. the resulting tube wall thickness difference from thinnest to thickest was less than 0.2 mm.

Repeated this with dozens of blanks and with both 27/64" & a 10.5 mm quality reduced shank (10 mm) drill bit in both chucks. I can't explain the difference other than Jacob's chuck #1 is a cheapie and #2 a much higher quality chuck. I cleaned the MT, even tried multiple positions of chuck #1 in the MT2 in the tailstock, reset the drill bit in the jaws of the chuck etc. etc. - same result, very occasionally the drill actually wandered onto the correct axis.
    Last edited by Geoff Whaling; 12-13-2015 at 6:30 AM.

Geoff, you left us hanging! What brand is the better chuck?

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Geoff, you left us hanging! What brand is the better chuck?
    John, I didn't know when I posted. I'm in Far North Queensland, Australia, so often the generic brands we see are quite different to what is available to the majority of readers of this forum so please excuse me leaving off the brands.

I just went out to the shop/shed to check for you (it is a bit early here 4 am, cursed as an early riser), truth is I cannot find a brand name on #1 and it is now indecipherable on #2. Ive had both for around 10 years and have always set aside #1, know I have proved why!

What I can say though is that #1 is a typical keyed 1/2" Jacobs Chuck, designed and operates so that the jaws extend well out at least 5/8" or 15 mm past the body of the chuck; whereas #2 is a 10 mm keyed Jacob's Chuck but the jaws remain internal to the body when used on 10 mm stepped / reduced shank drill bits. In length extending past the face of the tail stock quill #2 is some 20 mm or over 3/4" shorter than #1.

The results I get with #2 is about the same as I get when using a threaded (not MT2) ER Collet Chuck body or with the MT2 Collets & Collet Nut on my tail stock quill. So any drift is more operator error or due to grain in the blank. I will take a couple of photos later today and post them.

Nova Mercury tailstock quill detail.jpgNova Mercury tailstock quill WC.jpgER_collet_v_MT2.jpgNova Mercury tailstock quill acc.jpgNova Mercury tailstock + Vermec ER25 chuck.jpg

The offending #1 chuck is pictured on RHS in photo 3. These photos are of our now in retirement Nova Mercury. The thread on the tail stock quill was standard however I have had my VL150 quill customized to. With the 1" x 8 thread I can use all of the accessories in photo 4 directly onto the quill. The MT2 collets are not as accurate as the ER collet chuck setup but still pretty good but unfortunately the Nova range of MT2 collets only came in 4 sizes from memory and the 3/8" collet will not accept a 10 mm reduced shank drill bit (buggar!).
    Last edited by Geoff Whaling; 12-13-2015 at 1:58 PM.

Thanks, Goeff, for the pics. You have some nice setups! I get reasonably good results from my keyless Jacobs chuck, but I am rarely drilling deep holes that require precision for the entire depth. But, I am always open for the acquisition of a new tool had you determined the brand. 😉