Thread: Custom spice rack for a restaurant

Custom spice rack for a restaurant

Hi guys,

I'm Benoit and I'm new to the forum so I thought I might introduce myself by sharing a project I did recently.
    A client asked me to design something some sort of spice rack he could put on the table to serve his customer. Problem was all the bottles were different sizes and he wanted to be able to carry them single handed to the tables.

Here is wat I came up with...
    IMG_8265 small-min.jpgIMG_8280 small.jpg

The rack consists of a top 2 layers of oak and beech, in which I drilled and routed the holes into to accomodate the different sized bottles. On the bottom I glued another piece of oak and using the bandsaw and router I cut the outside to follow the curves created by the inner hole.
    I had to make 30 of these and after losing a couple to some really bad tearout it became quite a chore. I definetly learned a lot during the project. I also spend way more time then I anticipated to sand the pieces to a very smooth surface.
    But the client was super happy with the result so the extra time was well spent.

Greetings from Belgium
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-09-2015 at 11:44 PM.

now that's cool! Nice work! Let's hope those bottles never change size eh? :-)
    ###
    I have no idea what I did wrong, but as long as I don't do what I did, I'll be good to go.

I also made that remark to the client ... He felt pretty confident... :P Otherwise he will have to refill the old ones haha

Found some more pictures.
    In the last one you can see the different steps

Clever idea and welcome to S.C.

Good work!!!
    Jerry

Welcome. Very nice design and the contrasting woods adds to the appeal. You are right, making 30 of anything is a chore. I always think I should make two of everything. One to work out my mistakes and one that's perfect. The problem is finding someone to buy the first one. At least when you make 30 the mistakes you worked out in the first one are paid for buy all the others.

John

Love it!

Very nice addition to the serving.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...