Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: planer catastrophe, knives contacted chipbreaker

planer catastrophe, knives contacted chipbreaker

i have a powermatic 209 with straight blades.
    last night i was planing some pecan, a 50mm wide piece, a full-thickness knot shattered below the cutterhead. the resulting loose pieces managed to wedge themselves somewhere between the cutterhead and chipbreaker (approx 3/16" welded steel). the chipbreaker mounts on a 5/8 steel shaft.
    the shaft deflected to the point of bending, about 3/4 " out of center at midpoint. the chipbreaker and rear guard bent and the knives made contact with the steel chipbreaker.
    all the knives folded back and shattered, sending out shrapnel.
    the guards kept it all contained with the machine.
    the cutterhead bearing is ruined as well.

mmtoolparts and ereplacement parts are great.
    ordered all new components and a byrd cutterhead.

Wow, that's some damage from a knot. Glad to hear the machine contained the damage and you're okay.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I had a similar explosion several months ago on my Grizzly 15" with the spiral head - one or two of the cutters shattered and it was a chain reaction that destroyed more than half of the cutters, the chip breaker and a pair of underwear...

Glad you're not injured and hope you get everything back in shape before long. You'll like the spiral cutter head!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    the chip breaker and a pair of underwear...

Glad you're not injured and hope you get everything back in shape before long. You'll like the spiral cutter head!
    What was your underwear doing in the planer?
    I Pledge Allegiance to This Flag, And If That Bothers You Well That's Too Bad - Aaron Tippin

As stated by others, I am glad to hear you weren't injured!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Spitler View Post
    i have a powermatic 209 with straight blades.
    last night i was planing some pecan, a 50mm wide piece, a full-thickness knot shattered below the cutterhead. the resulting loose pieces managed to wedge themselves somewhere between the cutterhead and chipbreaker (approx 3/16" welded steel). the chipbreaker mounts on a 5/8 steel shaft.
    the shaft deflected to the point of bending, about 3/4 " out of center at midpoint. the chipbreaker and rear guard bent and the knives made contact with the steel chipbreaker.
    all the knives folded back and shattered, sending out shrapnel.
    the guards kept it all contained with the machine.
    the cutterhead bearing is ruined as well.

mmtoolparts and ereplacement parts are great.
    ordered all new components and a byrd cutterhead.
    You have a great sense of proportionality. I'd be madder than hell if that happened to me.

The bottom line is knots are very dangerous in a planer......or in other equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    The bottom line is knots are very dangerous in a planer......or in other equipment.
    And....end grain cutting boards. Planers tend to blow-out the last inch of cutting board and it ruins your underwear!
    Last edited by Bill Orbine; 12-10-2015 at 8:09 PM.

Sounds spectacular. What type of planer is it?

Edit: just noticed PM 209.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 12-10-2015 at 8:18 PM.

I keep a large flat head screwdriver on the top of my planer just for those little buggers….loose knots are not allowed through it ever! You've learned a lesson the hard way, but I'll bet you won't make that mistake again

good luck,
    JeffD

Bought my Jet jointer from someone who had same experience. I installed a Byrd head and used JB Weld to fill in the cast iron chip breaker area. All works perfectly now for much cheaper than new.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Sounds spectacular. What type of planer is it?
    You asking me?? The spectacular show never happened to me but there has been a thread or two on here of other member trashing their planers surfacing end cutting board. Anyway....... my planer is the 209HH (Byrd head) and never had an incident...knock on wood (got lot's of it).

Huh, I dont have much experience yet with planers and jointers, so Im wondering, this was caused by having a knot in the board and the planer trying to plane it? Will/can the same type of thing happen running a board with a knot in it through a jointer?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

It's probably a lot less likely with a jointer since the board isn't being pinched between the feed rollers and bed. I imagine a through knot would probably just pop loose out of the top when jointing.

I had a similar experience this past summer working with hickory.Most of my boards were clear some had funny reversing grain.I did have one piece of wood pop out and make the oliver ring like a bell and dent the infeed table lip.My jointer weighs about 1800#s.
    I also broke several carbide inserts in the planer not sure when.
    Last edited by Andrew Hughes; 12-11-2015 at 12:17 AM.