Thread: Do you critique other's work?

Do you critique other's work?

Like, checking out the engraving on the Employee of the Month plaque at the restaurant, or the laser engraving on a wooden jewelry box at some mall store?

Yeah, you do...

This morning while watching the news, I had to laugh at what I saw, and just had to share...

Our Governor was talking about asking for more money. And on the wall behind him, is a nearly 4 foot diameter Great Seal of Utah...

I just had to hit pause, and take some pics of the TV...

utseal1.jpgutseal2.jpg

I'm assuming this is vinyl, or maybe painted. Whatever. What I had to laugh about is that, whoever worked with this logo was diligent enough to take one of the outer rope segments and make it look like rope, then did a circular multi-copy. The rope looks great!

But-- I guess it was too much trouble to change those funny blotches within the flags into the STARS they're supposed to be?

Talk about 'phoning it in', not exactly what I'd call 'a job well done' ...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Like, checking out the engraving on the Employee of the Month plaque at the restaurant, or the laser engraving on a wooden jewelry box at some mall store?

Yeah, you do...
    Yep all the time, I study them critique the flaws in my head, and equally praise the prefection and try to learn form the experience.

Steve.
    I'm Back.... & Currently Using a 500 x 300 50w C02 Shenhui Laser
    with Corel Draw X5, RdWorks Ver8, Adobe Master Collection CS5, Ratsus Plugin for PhotoShop instead of Photograv.

I like to call it a learning experience.. I find that YES.. I do look at others work.. But I look for both the flaws and the imagination that went into it.. I find what not to do on a project and I find new and sometimes innovative ways that I never thought about doing before..
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Cox View Post
    Yep all the time, I study them critique the flaws in my head, and equally praise the prefection and try to learn form the experience.

Steve.
    I nevr critique anothers’ prefection ...

I always look to see how they did the work, if they have a trick I have not seen before etc

Kind regards, John
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

My wife thinks I'm crazy...I'm always on the prowl for lasered good, new methods, etc. My problem is that I'm a hands on type person...some folks don't like me doing a so called "scratch n sniff" test to see if something is lasered/acid etched/blasted/screened etc.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Always analyzing everything... I see the beauty in the process and parts of the whole, then I imagine the workshop or tools used to create things and get all misty about the tools and machines I want to buy!!!! .
    -
    BIG Sandblaster, 100 lb Empire Pot with Footswitch
    80 Gallon Polar Air Compressor
    Frankenstein'd Blast Cabinet
    "Go Deep or Go Home... when you're engraving..."

I'm exactly like this. The guys I work with are use to me rubbing my hands over different signs or taking a photo of them on the phone. Even a walk back from the pub along the street I have a look at all the signs at the shops. Stainless Steel is a good one to look at. I am amazed when I see some flaws in vinyl sign work I think no way could I charge for that. It was vinyl cut text And the font was supposed to be all welded but it was cut on the vinyl cutter so there was a little gap between the letters.
    Rayjet 30
    Coreldraw X6
    Roland GX24 Vinyl cutter

I think we all look at what other people have done and I think thats one of the biggest reasons more people don't post pictures of their work here. I think their afraid of criticism or that their ideas will be stolen .. Seems like everybody is in competition with each other. Hey its a big world out there room for all of us.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Fraser View Post
    I'm exactly like this. The guys I work with are use to me rubbing my hands over different signs or taking a photo of them on the phone. Even a walk back from the pub along the street I have a look at all the signs at the shops. Stainless Steel is a good one to look at. I am amazed when I see some flaws in vinyl sign work I think no way could I charge for that. It was vinyl cut text And the font was supposed to be all welded but it was cut on the vinyl cutter so there was a little gap between the letters.
    For me, It is some of the seconded one. I have had that happen more then once.......and when I saw "there designs" locally, I laughed, was not anywhere near as good as mine. I do enjoy inspecting others work and learning from it. if it is better then mine, makes me want to step up my game and do better.

I tend to be a little blunt so I keep my opinions to myself usually, but if something looks like sh**, it looks like sh**, And those stars look like sh**.
    Just my opinion of course.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8