Thread: Finished: A Child's chair

Finished: A Child's chair

I used 1 1/2" square pine from the BORG. Cut all the joinery by hand. (I have since purchased a Mortiser to make some of that easier next time. ) Decided to put levelling feet on it after learning that their living room has a "hand scraped wood floor" that undulates a bit. I don't like the look of them, but it's more functional. It's no masterpiece like so many of you build, but it was fun and somewhat challenging because of the joinery. More than anything, it's got to be rock solid to take the little one's inevitable abuse. I succeeded there.

Finish is 3 coats of shellac, followed by 3 coats of paste wax. I used shellac because it's easy and because it's non-toxic. (Yeah, I know paste wax isn't non-toxic. I out-clevered myself there.) I rubbed out the first two coats of wax with 2000 grit wet-paper while the wax was still damp. Was that necessary - heck I don't know - it seemed like a good idea at the time. But it's a nice finish and when the child beats the devil out of it, it'll be easy to fix.

I will need to tweak the proportions a bit next time - I got "By Hand and Eye" right in the middle of this project but it was too far along to make many changes.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and critiques on this.

Best to all,
    Fred

20151210_182444.jpg20151210_181936.jpg20151210_182027.jpg
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I like it. A chair is something I haven't dared try yet. Let us know how it works out in day to day use.

It looks like it is very well built, but pine will show a lot of dings and splinter easily on the corners. I think the back will be somewhat uncomfortable and would suggest making the back rails curved. Also, I think it would look a lot better with a higher back. You can make curved rails easily by cutting the tenons while the stock is square and then cutting the curves.

Regardless, the child (ren) will love it.

Dan

That reminds me of the red high chair my dad built for my younger sister more than 70 years ago. Put a seat where the arms are and you'd have it. My dad's tools were a hand saw and a hammer so you can imagine how primitive it was. But it served the purpose, as yours will do for many years. Nice work.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    I like it. A chair is something I haven't dared try yet. Let us know how it works out in day to day use.
    Thanks Jay. Being straight and square made it much easier. You should try one some time!
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hahr View Post
    It looks like it is very well built, but pine will show a lot of dings and splinter easily on the corners. I think the back will be somewhat uncomfortable and would suggest making the back rails curved. Also, I think it would look a lot better with a higher back. You can make curved rails easily by cutting the tenons while the stock is square and then cutting the curves.

Regardless, the child (ren) will love it.

Dan
    Thanks Dan. A curved back is a good idea and now that you've explained how to do it, I think I can and will do it on the next one. Thank you. I agree with you about height - I played with it before cutting and thought I had it just right, but after it came together I saw that it could use another inch or two.

Pine. Yah, it sure does dent. Might make the next one out of maple.
    Best,
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    That reminds me of the red high chair my dad built for my younger sister more than 70 years ago. Put a seat where the arms are and you'd have it. My dad's tools were a hand saw and a hammer so you can imagine how primitive it was. But it served the purpose, as yours will do for many years. Nice work.
    Thanks Mike! Your story made me smile. I made a simpler one of these for my neighbor's kid (no arms on it). You know how when you're little, the whole world looks HUGE 'cause you're so small? (Think back - do you recall how big grandma's bungalow semed when you were 3 or 4?) Anyway, I took the chair over and set it in front of him. He went pie-eyed, immediately realizing what it was and that it was his. It was sure a great feeling to see his face. He makes his momma carry it all over the house for him.☺

And you have been rewarded beyond your expectations. I'm sure you're already planning what you can do next for this little fella.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Follow Up

So I delivered the chair as a gift today. The parents were thrilled and the baby seemed to like it alot - kept crawling back to it.

I think I succeeded.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Now you have started. This first one is a very good base to build on, one at a time. Each one will most likely get tweaked some till some time down the line you are satisfied. From what I can see, I think you did very solid work. For MY taste, the design needs some change, but it is not my chair. But, more importantly, the workmanship and care was definitely there. I would like to see you add in some subtle curves (or at least relieve some of the precise, sharp edges), go with thinner dimensioned wood in general and lay the back some (5 deg?, less?) from the seat. You can also look at making the seat wider at the front (thigh area) than the back (butt area). Paul Sellars has a video on beginning chair making that is a very good starting place for a simple, solid daily use chair that you may want to peruse. Again, very nice handwork on this one.
    David

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Finish is 3 coats of shellac, followed by 3 coats of paste wax. I used shellac because it's easy and because it's non-toxic. (Yeah, I know paste wax isn't non-toxic. I out-clevered myself there.)
    Most all film forming finishes sold these days are non-toxic once they cure. As far as paste wax goes. Once the solvents evaporate and you rub it out with the dry cloth, all that is left is wax.

Your chair looks sturdy and certainly will see lots of use until the owner out grows it. I'm not sure I would have added the levelers as little hands may eventually unscrew one or more of them. The fact that it might rock on a hand hewn floor will change as the chair is moved from place to place in the room.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute