Thread: Thein Baffle versus Dust Deputy

Thein Baffle versus Dust Deputy

I have decided to vent outside figuring I won't be running long enough to worry about my furnace or water heater. I will be using a HF 2hp DC, one machine at a time. Which would do a better job of chip collection? The Thein baffle or the Dust Deputy?
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

Chips are easy; either should do fine. Dust is tougher; the Dust Deputy would be worth the extra cost.
    However be aware that the HF isn't very powerful to start with; put something in front of it and it will be even less powerful. OTOH a dust deputy might keep your bag cleaner.

A Dust Deputy has a 2" inlet and outlet and is designed to hook to a Shop Vac. I believe the HF dust collector is a 4" connection and handles a much higher volume of air. The Dust Deputy does a fantastic job of separating the sawdust and chips to keep it out of a Shop Vac, but you really should be looking for a filter that matches the size of your dust collector piping. A SUPER Dust Deputy has a 5" inlet and a 6" outlet, so this would be a better choice for you. The Thein filters are designed for 4" pipe and higher volume, so they would be better for use with the HF dust collector if cost of the Super Dust Deputy exceeds your budget.

I'm using a Dust Deputy on a re-purposed and rebuilt whole house central vacuum system for sanding, scroll sawing, cleaning the shop floor, and similar shop uses. While my vacuum is only a 2" inlet and outlet, it has a much stronger vacuum level than my Shop Vac and does really well for my needs. I've been running it almost daily since installing it in my shop back in the late Spring and have yet to find anything that made it past the Dust Deputy and into the vacuum's collection canister or filter, but I know it can't handle the sawdust from the table saw, the joiner, or the planer so I don't even try to use it with them.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 12-11-2015 at 11:45 PM.

Andrew, are you referring to the SUPER dust deputy? or the dust deputy?

I was originally thinking the Dust Deputy until Charles pointed out the difference in the inlet/outlet sizes. So i guess at this point I would be looking at the Super Dust Deputy...
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

I have the same set up Andrew and it works great. It's dedicated to my CNC and my shop is dust free.

I have the SDD using with a 1 1/2 Jet DC and small ducted system.

For my setup I know I'm underpowered but I used what I had when I redid my DC system but it works fine.
    I'll eventually upgrade to a 3HP blower.

Be sure to use 6" pipes with that cyclone.
    I found venting outside increases performance quite a bit probably makes up for the undersize.

Forgot to mention I did add a Wynn filter to the HF DC

The Thein worked well for me.
    Sorry my message is so long, I didn't have time to write a short one.