Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cork Smudging

Cork Smudging

So I searched the forums and found discussions about suppliers, etc. but nothing addressing the smudging. I was requested to burn some cork products, and while they look absolutely stunning, they easily smudge, ultimately looking like hot garbage.

Anyone have any tips on sealing the ash in?

Thanks!
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

Just as an update, some fishing forums talk about sealing their rod handles with spray on lacquer or a clear acrylic spray. Any thoughts on that? It just needs to keep the dark engraving in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob John View Post
    Just as an update, some fishing forums talk about sealing their rod handles with spray on lacquer or a clear acrylic spray. Any thoughts on that? It just needs to keep the dark engraving in place.
    I use clear spray lacquer, the RustOleum brand, dries in about 5 minutes, might need more than one coat. I did try washing mine with soap and water... the lacquer works better. I make my own cork coasters, engrave and then vector cut.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I use clear spray lacquer, the RustOleum brand, dries in about 5 minutes, might need more than one coat. I did try washing mine with soap and water... the lacquer works better. I make my own cork coasters, engrave and then vector cut.
    Good deal, and thanks! I'll definitely be picking some of that up this evening. Any idea how heat resistant it is? Some of the requests have been for pot pads as well. I'm not sure how hot a pot gets, but I'm not sure the very thin layer of lacquer would be affected.

EDIT- Found this on the Rustoleum SDS - "CONDITIONS TO AVOID: Avoid temperatures above 120 ° F". Well, back to the drawing board I guess.
    Last edited by Jacob John; 12-11-2015 at 7:03 PM.
    CorelDraw X7

EDIT- Found this on the Rustoleum SDS - "CONDITIONS TO AVOID: Avoid temperatures above 120 ° F".
    Yes, but is that for the cured finish, or the product in its aerosol can?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Try washing off with soap and water, I don't think you will find anything for high temperature. My guess Lee that is for the can contents. The only way to find out is spray a test one and see what happens? Soap and water takes a lot of the black off.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post

It's listed under this section:

"10. Stability and ReactivityCONDITIONS TO AVOID: Avoid temperatures above 120 ° F. Avoid contact with strong acid and strong bases. Avoid all possiblesources of ignition."

Not sure, honestly. Hmmm
    CorelDraw X7

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Try washing off with soap and water, I don't think you will find anything for high temperature. My guess Lee that is for the can contents. The only way to find out is spray a test one and see what happens? Soap and water takes a lot of the black off.

I'll try that too, Bill. That would be an easy fix.
    CorelDraw X7

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    It's listed under this section:

"10. Stability and ReactivityCONDITIONS TO AVOID: Avoid temperatures above 120 ° F. Avoid contact with strong acid and strong bases. Avoid all possiblesources of ignition."

Not sure, honestly. Hmmm
    These are storage and use precautions. Cans can burst above 120°, I suppose strong acid and bases can cause spontaneous problems, and cured paint isn't particularly prone to catching fire...

FWIW, you might try Rustoleum matte clear enamel, the matte finish works great when you don't want gloss, and would probably work well with cork-
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I've done Cork coasters myself, tried clear lacquer/varnish but being cork it tended to suck it up and was dificult to get an even finish. In the end I just brushed off as much dust as possible and gave them a light spray with Olive Cooking Oil.
    I'm Back.... & Currently Using a 500 x 300 50w C02 Shenhui Laser
    with Corel Draw X5, RdWorks Ver8, Adobe Master Collection CS5, Ratsus Plugin for PhotoShop instead of Photograv.

I feel really stupid because soap and water appears to have worked. In my defense, I've never worked with cork. It ashes a ton more than any other item I've worked with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    These are storage and use precautions. Cans can burst above 120°, I suppose strong acid and bases can cause spontaneous problems, and cured paint isn't particularly prone to catching fire...

FWIW, you might try Rustoleum matte clear enamel, the matte finish works great when you don't want gloss, and would probably work well with cork-
    Even though soap and water seems to have worked, I might experiment with it just to see how it comes out. Might not be a bad idea and offers additional protection.

I wonder how sealing them first then laser and clean.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I wonder how sealing them first then laser and clean.
    I'll try that too. No harm in experimenting.

I should have pointed out that I only engraved cork & never cut it. I'd buy the cork from the $2 shops in packets of 4 or more round or square coasters and also larger ones about the size of a bread plate in packets of 2 or more. My biggest seller was the "Great Aussie Dartboard" that featured a Koala doing a brown eye.
    I'm Back.... & Currently Using a 500 x 300 50w C02 Shenhui Laser
    with Corel Draw X5, RdWorks Ver8, Adobe Master Collection CS5, Ratsus Plugin for PhotoShop instead of Photograv.