Thread: Fixing a bad mortise...

Fixing a bad mortise...

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has ever over cut a mortise when cutting mortise tenons. I really blew it on 4 mortises for a desk I'm building and figured I'd share my solution, for whatever it's worth. I was luck enough that the locations of the oversize mortises are in a part of the desk that is not totally visible (drawer fronts will mostly cover); if it were the front of the desk or something, I'd be adjusting the design and buying more lumber to accommodate.

You can see here that I totally ignored the line on the side of the piece and cut the mortise way too long.
    20151212_124040.jpg

I cut some little blocks that were a little larger than the mortise, since my mortise cut was not perfectly flat.
    20151212_124046.jpg

I traced the bloc, scored it with a marking knife, then used a sharp chisel to make the hole.
    20151212_124157.jpg
    20151212_124354.jpg
    Attachment 327042

Then glued in the block that I made
    20151212_130201.jpg

I used blue tape to protect the leg while I flush cut the plug
    20151212_130538.jpg

I then sanded. I think once I put a finish on it, you'll hardly be able to notice.
    20151212_131149.jpg
    Clark Harbaugh

Good save. Your mortise is too close to the top of the leg. It could easily blow out if the tenon is just a little too wide, or split if it's a little too thick. It's best if the mortise is never closer to the end of a work piece than its width, and preferably further away than that. When I need the tenon to be really wide and that puts it close to the end like yours I usually just run the mortise right out the end of the piece and make a bridle type joint.

John

Nice save. One always hears that the pros are pros because they know how to fix their mistakes, so I guess you are a pro.
    David

Nice repair, Clark. You can hardly see it.

Mike

Yeah Clark nice fix,But I can still see it hardly.

Good job on that repair, Clark. Selecting the right piece to put in there was important - so there was no obvious color or grain transition. And you were very precise in fitting it in.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have read many times that a professional furniture maker is one who can either hide his mistakes or incorporate them in the design. I think you qualify.

Excellent save!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Appreciate the kind words.

John TenEyck, thanks for the tip on the mortises close to the end. I was extra careful on the fitment because of the fear of a split. I never thought of using a bridle joint, but definitely will next time.
    Clark Harbaugh

Nice work..No one will ever notice...good job!!!
    Jerry

I'm sure there is a good reason for it but I can't think of it. Why did you make the block wider than the mortise? As the others have said great repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I'm sure there is a good reason for it but I can't think of it. Why did you make the block wider than the mortise? As the others have said great repair.
    I made it bigger because the sides and ends of my mortise weren't perfect enough to give me a precise fit. Plus, I'd probably be hard pressed to accurately cut a block that small to match.