Thread: What file type to use with Chinese laser?

What file type to use with Chinese laser?

Question Chinese laser owners. What type of file do you export to send to your laser. I've used a PLT for some time but have noticed that my circles are not round they have a bunch of segments if that makes sense. Plus it changes the colors I have chosen for outline.

Hardware: Chinese Laser
    GWeike C1290 80 watt Reci laser
    Home built CNC, Joe's hybrid 4x4
    12" Delta Bandsaw, Jet Table Saw
    Router table, and more.
    Software: CorelDraw Suite 5x
    PhotoShop 7,

I use DXF files
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I normally do design work in a cad program then save in DXF format that I then import into the laser.
    I do have to resize to metric and "unite lines" in the laser program before use.
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

I use Inkscape for design work, save as svg, then save as dxf to send to the laser software, do final manipulation there including colour assignment, sizing for etc, then save as that softwares normal file type and then send to the laser.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

Depends what kind of software you use to control the laser. I have RDCam 6 for my Shenhui. I design all of my files in Rhino 4.0 (yeah I know is old, but is still doing the job right) and export everything as an .AI file (old Ilustrator 3.0 export). I need to do one step more in Rhino and that is to "flatten" - change degrees, but that is 1 sec op and that it is. If I assign colors in Rhino (which I do every time - raster black and cutting red) that will be exported also leaving me doing nothing inside RDCam (which is poor on the design side and not only on that).
    I see you have Corel. Use that and export .AI files with color layers. I don't like Corel thinking is more an artistic software than an true design engineering software (Rhino is not on top of that being beat by SW by far).

HTH
    Gabi
    Last edited by Balsanu Gabi; 12-13-2015 at 4:28 AM. Reason: Add something
    SH-G570 80 W RECI
    Homemade CNC Router
    Emco CNC Lathe
    ArtCam 2009
    Rhinoceros V4.0
    All Vetric products
    SolidWorks 2012
    CorelDraw X5
    Many ideas and very limited time

I use Aspire for my CNC and laser for the laser I convert to MM and export as a DXF

I use corel draw or inkscape. I find ai saving as ai 8 works well for me

I use ai V8 or dxf for importing into LaserWorks.

Dxf's, depending on the software creating them, may not import correctly. If that's the case I open the dxf with Corel then export as ai.
    Last edited by Rich Harman; 12-13-2015 at 4:15 PM.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Autocad2000 format DXF, some packages as Rich says don't create true DXF's they create the software makers version of the DXF format that can come with it's own set of problems.
    You did what !

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like I am going to have some experimenting to do. I ran into a problem with a file I made in Corel. I had 4 different outline colors. When I export as a .plt file all the colors are okay, but round objects are not round. They are segments. When I exported as a dxf the shape was good, but the color outlined were mixed up.
    Hardware: Chinese Laser
    GWeike C1290 80 watt Reci laser
    Home built CNC, Joe's hybrid 4x4
    12" Delta Bandsaw, Jet Table Saw
    Router table, and more.
    Software: CorelDraw Suite 5x
    PhotoShop 7,