Thread: Convertible Changing Table, three versions

1. Convertible Changing Table, three versions

I have built three of these changing tables. The design allows the piece to be converted to a small dresser when the child grows out the diapers. Here is the first piece I built.

After building the first table for my son in 2006 I was contacted by Woodcraft magazine and asked if I would like to write a project plan. I would have to build the project all over again and document each step with photos and notes. There’s a bit of an evolution in design of the pulls for the changing tables I have built as I was not satisfied with the pulls I designed for the first table.

I came up with this design for the second changing table. The project plan was published in Woodcraft magazine issue 13 Nov 06 project #57.

At the time we did not need a second changing table so I sold the piece I built for the project plan publication. In 2008 we were blessed with twin girls and my wife wanted another changing table.
    I quickly built a third changing table but decided I would build the drawers when the time came to convert it.

Now having 3 children and working 55 to 60 hours a week I put woodworking aside for about 6 years. I recently completed the drawers for the 3rd changing table and again changed the pull design. I wanted a single large pull that is strong and complements the piece. The new pulls are a bent lamination of cherry and maple and joined to the drawer front by contrasting walnut dowels and long grain for a rock solid glueup.

The finish on all 3 versions is a mix of tung oil, boiled linseed oil and polyurethane.
    Express Creativity With Wood.

Those are really nice. I love the different finishing techniques.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

I showed these to my wife. Now all we need is a grandchild. None on the horizon though.

Very nice..I like all the different variations and woods you used. Smart idea.