Thread: Walnut log storage

Walnut log storage

Good morning, a friend gave some large walnut limbs from a tree he cut down, the tree stood dead for about 1 year. I want to store them until I am ready to use. I know I need to paint the ends, do I leave the bark on or remove it. The walnut will be kept inside at a temp. of no less than 50°. Anything else I need to know or do?
    Thank you for your help!!
    Jeffrey
    If no one will ever see it, all the more reason to make it right

Better: wax instead of paint
    Better still: Cut logs into D's removing the pith
    Better still: Slab them into boards and stack and sticker them.

Most dimensional lumber comes from trunks. Limbs are notoriously less strong and less stable. YMMV.

Thanks Prashun, the logs are not that big. I will most likely turn them into bowls or something else. so I just need to store them until use. Bark on or off?
    Jeffrey
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-22-2015 at 5:38 PM.
    If no one will ever see it, all the more reason to make it right

No expert here, but I would take bark off, and inspect for bugs, if you're going to keep it inside.

All the log pieces I store for turning I coat the ends with LV End Seal and leave the bark on....

The best material to use to minimize checking is a product called Anchorseal. Coat the ends immediately after bucking to length. If you wait more that 2-5 days, the damage will be done.
    Howie.........

Jeffrey,

Even though you plan to use the logs for bowl turning, I'd still cut them down the middle, as Prashun suggests, in addition to end coating. Best yet (IMO), if your lathe is up and running and you have the time, would be to rough turn some bowls, leaving thick walls (at least 3/4" if not an inch), and using end coat to seal the whole thing. In five or six months or so they should be ready to remount and finish turn.

if you leave the bark on, like Stan said, definitely check for bugs. I lost a lot of curly maple with natural edge because of bugs under the bark devouring the wood. Didn't find their damage until I went to use the wood.

Bob

As others have said, Anchorseal on the endgrain, check for bugs and if you can, cut to rough dimensions and sticker the blanks on flat surfaces, allowing good air flow around the wood. If you have access to a moisture meter, check to see the status and measure before you use, even if it is dead wood, if it has been out in the elements, it will need to dry.