Thread: Just a couple of saws

Just a couple of saws

Well, I made a couple of different saws lately. Or rather finished them. Sitting on my bench for quite a while. I may go with a rectangular plate on the dovetail, but this one is mine. Hence the shaped plate. Cocobolo, 0.020" canted plate x 38* hang, 12" tooth line x 16ppi x 10* rake and 0* fleam. The shellac still needs to be buffed out.
    IMG_2678_zpsrurpmrpf.jpgIMG_2683_zps77kynov0.jpg
    A 22" panel saw in Sapele with stainless saw fasteners. 0.035" tooth line, tapered to 0.031 along the spine, give or take a skosh. Just 8ppi rip. Yes mine too.
    IMG_2674_zpsslyp0jme.jpgIMG_2676_zpsa8zwwqoz.jpg
    Lastly a Half Back in Walnut. 9ppi x 15* rake x 20* fleam.
    IMG_2654_zpsasbvnyct.jpgIMG_2652_zpscv4u2qul.jpg
    Thoughts are always welcome. Best wishes.

Ron,
    You are an inspiration!

Love your saws. One of these days I'll figure out to get one of those halfbacks.

I love the dovetail!

One day.... one day......

Hi Ron. Have you recently added shellac to your choice of finishing technique. I had the impression you were predominantly using True Oil.

Stewie;

Hi Stewie,
    I use true oil from time to time, but mostly Arm R seal, ( urethane and oil mix ). True oil is just basically a tongue oil mix. That's been used on gun stocks forever it seems. It looks equally as good as the Arm R Seal.
    The shellac I am using on particularly oily woods such as Cocobolo. I have tried Arm R seal and other urethanes on this wood but it never wants to cure. I have had to strip off the urethanes on more than one occasion. I should have learned the first time. So shellac and paste wax are the way to go with this wood. The Sapele saw is actually Arm R Seal.

Hey Cody. Not sure how far you are from KC but they seem to have a pretty good Woodworking guild out there. Lots of good folks.
    Best wishes.

Hi Ron. Makes sense. I tried True Oil about 2yr ago on some of the oily Australian timbers I use for handle wood. It was a complete disaster. The finish would not harden up.

cheers Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 12-15-2015 at 12:42 AM.

Stunning Half-Back, my vote for "Saw of the Year!!"

Blog Entries
    I really do not think there is any just another Bontz saw.

You've tapered the plate for the panel saw. Does that mean tapered-plate full size hand saws are in the offing?
    I've got a few ppi slots left to fill in my saw till...
    AKA - "The human termite"

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Nickerson View Post
    You've tapered the plate for the panel saw. Does that mean tapered-plate full size hand saws are in the offing?
    I've got a few ppi slots left to fill in my saw till...
    No. Not yet. Thanks for the thought though. I will have Gent saws soon. Waiting on some custom CNC brass ferrules etc. Also have several other projects in the works, but time will tell. Some things had to go on the back burner this past year. So playing catch up these days on saws etc..