Thread: No rebar needed and other lessons

No rebar needed and other lessons

The PM 3520A is now operational in my basement shop. Thanks for all your input to make the move as easy as possible. My son and I needed only a couple of hours to transfer all the parts and I was able to complete assembling the lathe that day. I completely agree that placing any metal bar through the headset is not only inadvisable but also unnecessary. We also attached a single leg and then flipped it onto the stand I had made. That may have been a little easier than attaching both legs prior to setting it upright.

After reading the manual (which I found at Mustardmonster) and replacing the electric plug, I powered it on. Uh-oh!!! The headstock was making a clicking noise. I opened it up and checked the various pieces for play. It turned out that the drive pulley was loose on the shaft. After a couple of attempts, I was able to get the set screws secured and the noise is gone. I am a little concerned that the key slides easily in the slot although it is firmly in place with the set screw. The other set screw is also a concern in that it seems a little hard to turn. I will check that out later.

Can't wait to start making some bowls but I have a bunch of decorative boxes to make first as the countdown to Christmas is almost in the single digits.

Thanks again for all your knowledge!
    David
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Good going.

If not a member, check out the OVWG.org website and consider becoming a member.

Great group of helpful folk.

The setscrew may be hard to turn because it has Loctite to keep it from vibrating loose. If you are concerned about a loose key on the motor shaft, you can buy oversized keystock that is a few micrometers oversized. Sand it with 1500 grit paper until it can be pressed into the keyway with a snug to tight fit. Before pressing it in place verify that it also fits the keyway in the pulley.
    Bill