Thread: Clear sealer

Blog Entries

Clear sealer

I have a vase of maple and Purple Heart and would like it to stay as white as possible.
    what would be a good sealer to put on before spraying with acrylic.
    will the spray effect the sealer?

thanks Mike

Since the acrylic is clear, why not avoid compatibility issues and simply use the acrylic? You can spray a couple of coats, lightly sand or buff with 0000, and proceed with additional coats. Other wise, lacquer is usually compatible with acrylic - usually! A test run would be advisable.

I would agree with John with only using the acrylic. If you would still rather use a sealer prior to the acrylic finish, I would go with Zinsser Bullseye Seal Coat, a de-waxed clear shellac. I use this product on a regular basis to help "pop" the figure. Compatible with virtually any topcoat, I usually thin with 30% +/- alcohol, always scuff between coats.

Mike, rather than using a poly finish, I would use lacquer instead. Some poly finishes turn yellow, a lacquer finish doesn't.
    Len

Blog Entries
    John and Roland I thought that by using a sealer it may help maintain the same look with fewer coats not that matters just a thought.

Mike, there are vinyl sanding sealers that might do what you want, but I won't use them because of the chemicals involved. Shellac also does an excellent job, but even "clear shellac", which is not wax free, does have an amber hue.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    Mike, rather than using a poly finish, I would use lacquer instead. Some poly finishes turn yellow, a lacquer finish doesn't.
    Len
    Most lacquer finishes will definitely yellow.
    A CAB acrylic lacquer will not.

Roland, do you use the seal coat as-is as a final finish, and if so, how many coats suit your eye?