Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser won't Engrave or Cut after cleaning

Laser won't Engrave or Cut after cleaning

I had to do a good cleaning on my mirrors and lens today and since I've done that I can't get anything to cut or engrave. I realigned everything and get a nice dark brown dot on all the mirrors, even one on the bed, but I send a job to engrave or cut and it doesn't do anything at all.

It was suggested to lower the bed about an inch and then test fire the laser and I should have had a nice large brown dot, but all I got was a small half moon shape that looks clipped. I've checked everything from the focal tube and there doesn't seem to be any obstructions.

Does anyone have any suggestions please? Of course this being the week before Christmas I still have a lot to do and can't afford for it to be down. I'm waiting on the tech person from the company I bought it from to get with me tomorrow, but I'd sleep a lot better if I could get an answer sooner rather than later.

Thanks a ton and Merry Christmas!

Michele
    80 watt Rabbit laser
    Rabbit Laser 36 x 48, 80 watt laser
    Full wood shop
    Plasma cutting machine, 4' x 4'
    Vinyl Cutter

If your machine has a red beam dot check the lens near the exit point of the tube, the lens could be blocking part of the laser.

It sounds like an alignment issue.
    i suggest doing some quick tests. Since Ray locks down the mirror screws with nail polish I really doubt that that is the problem.
    Place a slab of tape over the top hole of your final mirror tube, if it is in alignment to that point you know that your problem is either the final mirror or the focus lense.
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

(I) "get a nice dark brown dot on all the mirrors". Your mirrors are discolouring when the laser beam hits them?
    Guy Hilliard

Sawdust and Noise

Trotec Speedy 400 w 80W, rotary attachment, vacuum table, cutting table, lamella bars

AXYZ 4008 w 7 position ATC, Servos, Vacuum, pins, laser digitizer

CorelDRAW X6,
    Rhino 5,
    Aspire

I think she means she gets a dot on the tape at each mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Hilliard View Post
    (I) "get a nice dark brown dot on all the mirrors". Your mirrors are discolouring when the laser beam hits them?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

check the lens make sure its seated right not cocked at an angle.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

So, is the lens itself in place? Not a stupid question, I've tried to laser with a missing lens more than once!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Call Ray They should be in the shop Now

Funny how these things always mess up Friday night , the week before Christmas or when the Chinese are on vacation
    JUST SAYIN
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

quote: but all I got was a small half moon shape that looks clipped. I've checked everything from the focal tube and there doesn't seem to be any obstructions.

That sentence right there tells me your beam is off.. Either alignment or blockage... Your going to just have to do the thermal paper test at each mirror to locate the problem...
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

I know it sounds silly, but, make sure the air assist tube is not blocking the beam. It's easy to hit it accidently sometimes.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I would check the nose cone, if it has one attached. It might be clipping the beam.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    I know it sounds silly, but, make sure the air assist tube is not blocking the beam. It's easy to hit it accidently sometimes.

Funny you should mention that.. I almost burnt through mine one time...
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Troncalli View Post
    quote: but all I got was a small half moon shape that looks clipped. I've checked everything from the focal tube and there doesn't seem to be any obstructions.

That sentence right there tells me your beam is off.. Either alignment or blockage... Your going to just have to do the thermal paper test at each mirror to locate the problem...
    Yes - that is the classic sign of the focus tube being out of vertical in either the x or y axes. If the testing shows the beam hitting the last mirror correctly try minute adjustments to the tube angle to the bed. Good luck
    Bill Carruthers, Rarotonga, Cook Islands
    Shenhui G350- 60W; + Hengchunyuan 1300x900 100W EFR , CNC router 40x60, Lightburn fan, RDCam , Coreldraw 12, Photograv 3, Scroll saw, and not enough time to play with all of them!

sounds like the beam is hitting the nose cone and bouncing off the side of it. I will remove my lens and nose cone put a piece of tape over the ed of the tube and see if the beam hits the center
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 12-17-2015 at 2:55 PM.

Well, I have it all aligned and everything seems to be ok with that part. I can do a test fire and I get a nice dark brown dot, but when I go to run a job I don't get anything at all. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch, zero!! AHHHHH, so frustrated!!! I've had them tell me it could be the safety switches or maybe a power supply. I just don't need this right now!!! Any other suggestions please?????
    Rabbit Laser 36 x 48, 80 watt laser
    Full wood shop
    Plasma cutting machine, 4' x 4'
    Vinyl Cutter