Thread: Carbide tool question

Carbide tool question

I've dabbled a little with turning. About ten years ago got a jet mini lathe, and took some lessons with a good turner. Haven't done much since I took a faculty job in San Antonio 9 years ago. Dept had a gift exchange so I thought I would make a pen for it (had a stash of blanks and kits). I had fun and the pen went over well. I have iirc 3/8 spindle gouge and a bigger bowl gouge and a sorby scraper. I have been debating picking up some of the easy wood tools carbide tools. (Plus the wife is looking for me to suggest something she can get me for Christmas ). I know in some opinions this is sliding backwards, but since I have limited time I like the idea of being able to go in the shop and get something done quickly

Questions
    1. Which size should I get-- I have gone from thinking the easy start tools, to the mid size to the full size. And back again. (Craft usa has them all 20% off)
    2. Do I get the rougher, the finisher or the detailer. Or all three.?
    3. Should I get one to try out? Then get the others? Which one would be good to start with?

Probably do mostly pens. And small bowls(it's a mini lathe ).

John. Sorry for rambling

I have some carbide tools that I use on bowls, etc. I don't do pens yet.

The rougher, finisher and detailer all have different shapes and different purposes. So you might consider getting all three.

It is pretty easy to just buy the inserts and screw them in to your own home-made tool. The inserts cost $4 to $15. Eddie Castiline has good prices as does AZCarbide. I've made a number of carbide tools out of 1/2" square hot roll steel. I think that Eddie Castelin has some youtube videos on how to do it. The detailer and rougher are flat. For the finisher, I think that they have a round cutter with a positive rake. So you would mount that on a round rod. Easy and fun stuff to do.

The flat inserts can be sharpened, but I've had only so-so luck with getting them as sharp as new.

I have a friend who uses carbide for everything. He is sometimes slow at replacing them (because they are getting dull) so he sometimes gets tear out. If they are new and sharp, they cut really well. The rougher and detailer cut in a scraping mode, btw. So when they are sharp, they work pretty well.

I use carbide selectively. I have a bunch of square inserts from a planer that I use to rough out quickly. Often they are not razor sharp but because I'm using them for roughing, it doesn't hurt if I have some tear out, as I use another tool for finishing.

I have a 1/2" round and square carbide turner that I bought from a fellow in Rodeo, New Mexico. (No affiliation) I think they were $65. I don't use the square one at all. I did a lot of early turning with the round one. Once I learned to use gouges I stopped using the round one. HOWEVER, I've begun to use it more lately on the inside of deep pieces to smooth out the transition to the bottoms and the bottoms when I am getting too far over my tool rest and having vibration with a gouge. These inserts can be sharpened with a diamond "stone" that I bought from HF for $9 for a set of 3. (No affiliation) Replacement inserts are < I think, $16. I wish I had gotten the point tool instead of the square.

I don't have any easy wood tools so can't say one way or another. I have turned a lot of pens. Years ago not knowing anything about turning I bought the Shopsmith pen turners set of 3, that had a roughing gouge, parting tool and a square point scraper. Less than $50 and it was a great set for pen turning. I still use it today. I am now trying to turn bowls. I had thought about buying easy wood tools, however I want to learn to use bowl gouges, so I went with Thompson tools. For whatever reason I think I will get more satisfaction using them. I will most likely make my own carbide tools when I am ready.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Get the medium set. You can extend further over the tool rest than the small, and with that lathe you don't need the large. If you can only get two eliminate the detailed and use your gouge for that work. The square (or slight radius) is good for convex curves and flats.

That said, I have moved to Thompson tools as well. However, I understand the appeal of easy.

Doug

I have both Easy and Hunter carbides (plus a few oddballs). Seeing as though I do a lot of laminated bowls they cut through the CA joints well. I agree the midi tools should serve you well. Capt. Eddies inserts are reasonable and work well. They can be sharpened or at least touched up. One trick I learned (at least with the round cutters) is every time you go to turn, loosen up the screw and give the cutter a quarter turn. It's amazing how long they last.

If you already have a nice(?) spindle gouge and 1/2" bowl gouge and the Sorby scraper, you already have what you need. My $0.02 would be invest in a sharpener if you don't already have one. You can turn small bowls on the Jet if you go slow. Well, I guess you have no choice but to go slow. I've turned bowls on my mini Jet.

I have the Easywood carbide mid tools, all 3 , that's all I use, I am new to turning but am doing lots of bowls, pens and such, I am learning the craft of turning and not the craft of sharpening. I would highly recommend them!
    i am getting lots of time on the cutters, but do get extras
    It's me chip

John,

Opinions and experience vary widely! I bought the Easy Wood tools and haven't used them after trying them out. I have been using nearly every Hunter carbide tool that Mike makes and I use them a lot, mini hollowers, his big tapered tools, etc. I really like some of his newer tools, for example the Osprey with the cutter angled. The Osprey is very stout while made for fine work. I highly recommend these.

Expert turner John Lucas uses the new Hercules for a lot of his work, both in the easy scraping mode, shear mode, and the more controlled bevel-rubbing mode. Based on his recommendations I just today received Mike Hunter's Hercules tools, both the large and small - can't wait to try them but of course have no experience with them yet.

If you know any turners with carbide tools it might be best to visit, watch, and try the tools yourself before buying. If that is not possible, I don't think anyone can go wrong with the Hunters except perhaps beginners. In that case, the traditional gouges, skews, and scrapers might be a better choice.

JKJ

John,

Carbide has its place but learning to use your conventional tools efficiently would pay the biggest dividends. I personally would rather have another chuck or different size bowl and spindle gouges vs. carbide tools. There are many good turners in SA that are willing to help. I don't know if you are a member of the Alamo Area Woodturners but we meet the 4th Thursday of every month at Woodcraft. If you are not a member you are more than welcome to attend.

Thanks,

Alan

Here is a good place to get replacement carbide tips for most brands and they are starting to make their own tools now http://azcarbide.com/ so look up their site and do a little investigating. Carbide tools are not a dirty word just an alternate method. Why limit your turning experience. Carbide are tools can removing wood fast than follow-up with conventional tools for a finishing touch.
    Last edited by Robert Willing; 12-17-2015 at 11:04 PM.

I have shop made clones of the medium sized (3/8" shaft) EZW carbides and I use them a lot. Also have the big beast Hunter Hercules but that'd be overkill for pens.

I made my own as well, pretty easy. Tons of youtube vids to show how. Glued some pine boards from Home Depot and turned the handles. Went to the local discount steel place bought some square steel bar for $7. Bought the inserts from AZcarbide. Made five different tools, round, square, raduis, diamond and cupped round. Whole thing cost me about $45 for all five.

I have all three of the Easy Start ones, and do about 75% of turning with them. I don't see the bigger ones as worth it if you are only turning small things. I understand some people think its a shortcut, but time is valuable