Thread: Drawer slide question - Offset slide from face frame?

Question Drawer slide question - Offset slide from face frame?

Greetings all. I am working on upgrading from the cheap white euro roller slides to full extension and had a question...does the drawer side slide mount flush to the inside face of the false front or should it be offset rearward? Reason I ask is that the slides seem to have a detent that "catches" the drawer. Most instructions show flush, but my thought is why would they put a detent in it? Maybe I am overthinking it...

I use KV slides and I mount them flush with the back of the drawer fronts.

I set mine back 1/8". That makes sure that the detent stops it before the metal slide bangs the front, which you can hear.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Set back 1/8". I believe I only used Blum the last 10 years or so, and the euro slides I used before were also required to be set back 1/8". I made a little setup block that I always used to line up the slide half for the front mounting hole drilling.
    David

I do inset drawers. Are y'all doing inset drawers too? If so, you must be using thinner drawer fronts or also setting back the other half of the slide too, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    ... setting back the other half of the slide ...
    That's the key here. The drawer half of the slide can be set back 1/8 or more, but the final fit will depend on the relative set-back of the two halves.

I don't use side-mounts much these days, but when I do, I set the drawer half back 1/8 and the case half about 1/16, so the drawer "bottoms out" in the slide about 1/16 before slamming into the face of the cabinet.

An inset drawer would never slam into the face of the cabinet!

I generally do inset also although now I almost always use Blum undercount.What can happen with side mounts is the front can hit the cabinet member which will make a clicking sound if it happens.
    Last edited by Steve Jenkins; 12-18-2015 at 7:14 AM.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Side mounts I set back a 1/16" on the drawer and the cabinet. Blum undermount I set back the cabinet slide 1/8". I tried 1/16" but kept having some of the drawers protrude a little. They don't slam, so I wasn't concerned with the drawer face hitting the faceframe.

Inset are a whole other finicky ball game. Cabinet mount screws are placed in horizontal slots and the drawer mounts are placed in the vertical slots. Gives me adjustment both directions. Set back starts at 1/16 on both.
    -Lud

Perhaps I'll have to try setting them back some and see if I like it.

Thanks for the answers. After setting the drawer slides at about 1/8" set back one can feel the engagement. I imagine that the set back distances are variable depending on the slides used.