Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I will be reviled, but I was largely disappointed in the new Star Wars

I will be reviled, but I was largely disappointed in the new Star Wars

Went and saw it tonight with my daughter. I was underwhelmed, but it was about what I expected. Sorry, but I think it is simply a bad movie. I think it is just a remake of the first one made. The funny parts aren't funny. The acting is contrived, the plot plodding and predictable. The characters are bleahhhh.

Many will disagree with me, but that is their right.

Blog Entries
    The funny parts aren't funny. The acting is contrived, the plot plodding and predictable.
    Sounds just like the first one.

I will either go see it or wait for it to be on DVD or Blue Ray.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've never seen a full star wars episode. My father took me and my brothers to the drive in to see either V or VI. We got about 30 minutes into it and we asked dad if we could leave because it was terrible. He felt the same. My wife made me go to the theater to see phantom menace. I got a good 2 hours of sleep in during that one.

Star Wars have been placed on an iconic pedestal. For those who love and those who think "meh" of the originals, the movies are still so built/hyped up that anything following will always be paltry in comparison. Those who love it want to be "wowed" and fall in love all over again. Those in the "meh" category are following the hype and hoping to go see a great movie and are anticipating greatness.

I'm waiting untill DVD release, unless someone buys us a Bluray for xmas.
    -Lud

I may see it, I may not. All of the hype tends to make me a little suspicious of the movie itself.
    The first one came out when I was 17, and for it's day ,it was pretty cool. The sequel to the first one was "alright", but after that installment, they went from bad to just awful. ( The first Star Trek's were worse. I waited in line 4 hours for the first one and walked out after 40 minutes. That was a stinker.)
    In the end though, it's just a movie, and hopefully most folks will come out having been entertained for a few hours.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I must be different I guess. I loved all three original Star Wars movies, and the three new ones. I can't wait to see this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Adams View Post
    I must be different I guess. I loved all three original Star Wars movies, and the three new ones. I can't wait to see this one.
    Nope, you're alright.
    They make all kinds of movies, for all kinds of folks, with all kinds of taste. If we all liked the same movies, that would be boring as could be.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I really couldn't care less about the new movie. I'll see it when it comes out on Bluray. I'm a huge original trilogy fan, but as far as I'm concerned, Star Wars ended in 1983. They just don't make those kinds of movies anymore, no matter what the new film is like, it isn't going to be Star Wars, any more than any of the prequels were. I saw the original in the theater in 1977 and loved it. I've seen it hundreds of times. I saw Phantom Menace in the theater once, never bothered going back for the other ones. You can't catch lightning in a bottle again.

Star what?
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I may see it, I may not. All of the hype tends to make me a little suspicious of the movie itself.
    The first one came out when I was 17, and for it's day ,it was pretty cool. The sequel to the first one was "alright", but after that installment, they went from bad to just awful. ( The first Star Trek's were worse. I waited in line 4 hours for the first one and walked out after 40 minutes. That was a stinker.)
    In the end though, it's just a movie, and hopefully most folks will come out having been entertained for a few hours.
    There is a reason so many refer to the first Star Trek as the 'Slow Motion Picture'. It is a horrible movie, but as I recall, Shatner was heavily involved with the entire production, the script, etc. For Wrath of Khan, Nimoy took over and provided what I consider to be one of the best scifi movies ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    Star Wars have been placed on an iconic pedestal.
    I agree completely. I saw the first one at the drive in about 6 months after it came out. The whole world seemed to be talking about how great the movie was and bragging about seeing it dozens of times. I didn't think it lived up to the hype and slept through most of it.

Steve

CAN'T WAIT to see it!

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    Well, obviously the force in not with you guys. I'm with Eric I can't wait to go see it. However I am going to wait until the crowds thin out a bit. I work in an office full of nerds, one guy came to work in his Darth Vader costume. Several of them went to the movie last night. One said it was ever bit as good as the original trilogy ones.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I belong to a forums on each of the subjects I'm interested in. This is the only forums where there are negative comments. Must be something about woodworkers.

I don't see any movie unless my wife insists on it, and she is not likely to insist on seeing this one. The idea of sitting for 2 hours is terrible. (On our 8 hours flight to HNL next week I can get up and walk around or hopefully sleep)

I am however eager to see it when it reaches television in about 3 years.