Thread: Searching for Club Smocks

Searching for Club Smocks

Our club is looking for new Smocks and I am wondering if any one out there has gone through this process lately and if so can you give me some idea of where to get a good smock as a reasonable price.

I'm not sure what your definition of a reasonable price is, but I got this yesterday in my e-mail.

Dubdubdub.powermaticgearstore.com/s15/PG48.html?utm_source=JangoMail&utm_medium=Email&ut m_campaign=Treat+Yourself+with+a+Woodturning+Smock +%28317835106%29&utm_content=pix%40ida%2Enet

On sale for $38.00.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Lee Valley has a nice one that is easy to have a club crest sewed on and embroidered name.
    Peter F.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Fabricius; 12-18-2015 at 6:08 PM.

AAW has a nice smock, but it's not as cheap as Brians. Craft Supplies has a nice thick smock which I really like, I wore mine out. Thick is good for roughing, keeps the stinging shards of wood away. The CS smock costs more than the AAW smock. We send out the smocks for embroidering locally, since we get the club logo embriodered.

My wife got me the Lee Valley one for Christmas last year. It's a nice smock and I like it except for one thing, the cuff on the sleeve acts like a magnet for the shavings. I plan on having the wife convert it to short sleeves.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Having two shops, I bought two each of the AAW's and Sorby's. One is half sleeves, the other has long sleeves. The Sorby's is more substantial, but the truth is that I now barely use any of these. Now I use either the light rain jackets that can be bought for about 15 dollars when they are on sale. They close up at the neck better than the smocks. When it is cold in my shop I use running gear (also bought on sale) with some lining. I have a total of six of these which cost me about 90 dollars and wash easily. Now if you need logos, that may be another story, but personally, I wouldn't buy another woodturning smock, particularly because I am sloppy and they get dirty quite quickly.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Down here in Florida, I only wear a smock with nothing under it (or just a Tee shirt) except if demonstrating. Too hot!! Our club president's wife bought one of those fancy machines that will embroider and designed a logo for the club and embroidered some Polo shirts that were sold to members. He's divorced now, so no more of those. Wish we had thought to have her make a bunch of patches...

If you get a good design for a logo, look into having patches made that can be added to off-the-shelf wear by club members. That way they can buy the AAW smock, or the Lee-Valley, or the Powermatic, or put it on whatever they already own.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).