Page 48 of 118 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge release

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Surprise surprise

Blowforge announce tubes cannot be swapped by end users and the entire machine has to be shipped back for replacement when the tube dies, if end users do it, the warranty is voided. So that's a 70lb machine that has to be shipped back to one of their "service centres"

Anybody left that still wants to defend this unworkable boat anchor?

This is what happens when people that don't understand lasers start making lasers (see my comment on the last page about 3-6 months after release and tube problems, now you know why)
    Surprise not, you and about 95% of the people on here including me knew this was not going to fly. A hope the folks who have money wasted on this get their full amount back.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

...tubes cannot be swapped by end users and the entire machine has to be shipped back for replacement when the tube dies, if end users do it, the warranty is voided.
    I'm not surprised. The warranty is only 6 or 12 months. The tube is mounted on the gantry, so it is in motion. If you replace the tube yourself chances are real good that you'll be out of warranty anyway. And if you are a customer to begin with, you are not likely to be the type of person qualified to replace it.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    I'm not surprised.... And if you are a customer to begin with, you are not likely to be the type of person qualified to replace it.
    I'm sorry Rich but that part is so funny....LOL funny.

Blog Entries
    Oooooh!

David! A boat Anchor/Laser combo? This could revolutionize barnacle removal in the marine industry? How cool is that!? <grin>
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

And David don't forget, it would be water cooled!

As a man who owns four boats I can tell you that it's likely not much good as a boat anchor either.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

They have also announced that the order in which orders were placed will not be deciding delivery...it will be decided by who has been the most "Helpful" on their forums AND the shipping date has been quietly pushed back to Aug to Sept this year.

UK buyers are now cancelling en masse as returning the machine to have a tube replaced costs at least £500 in postal fee's (plus the return fee) (plus the $500 cost of the reci made tube)

Kev, if you ever get a surfboard it might be good as an anchor for that
    You did what !

I had to look at a calendar after reading that announcement, to make sure it's not April 1st. Looks like they have changed their mind:

"Thank you for the clear and thoughtful feedback about our the importance of tube replacement for the community. I heard you loud and clear, and have spent the day with the team discussing what we can do for you. As a result, we're changing our plan. If your tube needs replacement, you'll have two options:
    1) We will sell replacement tubes so a Glowforge unit can be upgraded without shipping it anywhere (price to be announced before we ship).
    2) We'll replace the tube for you. This is free while the machine is under warranty, and $499 thereafter. This price includes round-trip shipping for your Glowforge anywhere inside the United States. International shipping will be extra. The key change from our original plan is that we'll sell parts rather than a snap-in kit, and we're adding a $499 "we do it for you" option with free 2-way domestic shipping."

https://community.glowforge.com/t/update-to-the-update-well-sell-replacement-tubes/6392?source_topic_id=6369

They have also announced that the order in which orders were placed will not be deciding delivery...it will be decided by who has been the most "Helpful" on their forums...
    That is simply...mind-boggling. Do they want to get sued?!?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

and it says their investigating options for tube swaps , which I think means they have no idea what there gonna do or how to do it. Which also probably means more delays in shipping.Glowforge is the biggest scam going yikes what was it 45 mil or something.Ya'll keep waiting
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I just went and read the initial and then the reversal, as a couple of guys said, they caved. And I'll bet the guy that posted that just went to the back of the line..... Uh, I guess if id actually ordered one, and especially if it was in the initial preorder, I'd be Really pissed if I learned my machine would be shipped after someone that bought after me.... I'd be thinking right now about sueing! That is a major change in policy that is pretty ignorant.. help is subjective and isn't how orders have been described as shipping for two years! Oh, that is pretty cheap tube if they can ship machine two ways and replace with labor along with tube for $500.... Oh, and another relevation, they JUST STARTED working on the filter system pro machine design.... And just moved production facility again in Feb/March. But they are still "shipping" preproduction machines. Good for them. They have it under control.....
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Where did you see this? Latest update says they're on schedule.

They have also announced that the order in which orders were placed will not be deciding delivery...it will be decided by who has been the most "Helpful" on their forums AND the shipping date has been quietly pushed back to Aug to Sept this year.

UK buyers are now cancelling en masse as returning the machine to have a tube replaced costs at least £500 in postal fee's (plus the return fee) (plus the $500 cost of the reci made tube)

Kev, if you ever get a surfboard it might be good as an anchor for that

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hilton View Post
    Here you go:
    https://community.glowforge.com/t/la...-march-17/6368

"Even as we continue to ship pre-production units, I want to share a bit of detail for our production shipments. Early on, we said "all things being equal, we'll ship first to those who ordered first". Here's a little more detail on some of the considerations we'll use before we sort people into delivery queues based on order date.

The first few hundred Pro and Basic units will ship to some of our most helpful forum customers, irrespective of their order dates.
    Did someone help you on the forum? Click the "heart" button under their post to let them (and us) know! That's the best way for us to determine who's making the community wonderful. Getting these people the early production units will help us smooth out the process for everyone else, since those are the people most likely to share feedback with us."
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

...the shipping date has been quietly pushed back to Aug to Sept this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hilton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    Here you go:
    https://community.glowforge.com/t/la...-march-17/6368

"Even as we continue to ship pre-production units, I want to share a bit of detail for our production shipments. Early on, we said "all things being equal, we'll ship first to those who ordered first". Here's a little more detail on some of the considerations we'll use before we sort people into delivery queues based on order date.

The first few hundred Pro and Basic units will ship to some of our most helpful forum customers, irrespective of their order dates.
    Did someone help you on the forum? Click the "heart" button under their post to let them (and us) know! That's the best way for us to determine who's making the community wonderful. Getting these people the early production units will help us smooth out the process for everyone else, since those are the people most likely to share feedback with us."
    I think he might be referring to Dave's comment that I have quoted above.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    I think he might be referring to Dave's comment that I have quoted above.
    "It's been a wonderful, crazy month! We've been clearing production hurdles one by one as we prepare for ever-larger volumes to meet our schedule of shipping all units in July/August"

August or September, what's the difference when you've already waited close to 2 years and are then told those with louder (applauding) mouths get cut to the front of the line.

That is a slap in the face to early backers.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.