Page 39 of 118 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge release

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Your laser can dig 1/4 inch into the wood and not have a problem with burning? Plus you would need to remove the burnt material as you went. I would guess that the large dig outs were done with a CNC router and the finishing was done with a laser. Yes I had a CNC router that would do that.
    I don't know how big you think that trinket is, but that etching isn't even close to 1/4" deep, more like 1mm-1.5mm. Unless of course you think it's 1" thick overall, in which case I'm curious what power laser you think was used to cut the outline.

I also had a CNC router that would do that piece...if it was the size of a dinner plate. At the small scale this was done, even sub-millimeter bits won't leave corners that square, and it would take forever.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    It's a software feature. I'm not sure if the common Chinese controllers have this, so might have to look around for that info.
    Yup, it requires high-speed modulation of the laser power across each raster scan.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I don't know how big you think that trinket is, but that etching isn't even close to 1/4" deep, more like 1mm-1.5mm. Unless of course you think it's 1" thick overall, in which case I'm curious what power laser you think was used to cut the outline.

I also had a CNC router that would do that piece...if it was the size of a dinner plate. At the small scale this was done, even sub-millimeter bits won't leave corners that square, and it would take forever.
    Yes I had a small Servo motor router and with VCarve Pro and some tiny milling bits I could engrave with it.
    I have no idea from looking at a picture how big the subject? You must have better eyes than mine. I am looking forward to someone posting one they have done?
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-13-2016 at 12:02 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Maybe I'm not following, but there are examples of Kern, ULS, Epilog, and gulp (FSL), producing this type of work. No router or spindle required. The FSL and the Glowforge will probably take a very long time to produce, though. The Kern examples are amazing.
    Somebody please tell me how to control charring color. Creating light colored char and dark colored char in different areas that are engraved at the same depth. Within the rings around the lasers / the ribbon behind the rings. The sun at the top / behind the ribbon at the top. The pebbles everywhere. Inside the logo at the bottom. Somebody Photoshoped the heck out of this thing.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Maybe I'm not following, but there are examples of Kern, ULS, Epilog, and gulp (FSL), producing this type of work. No router or spindle required. The FSL and the Glowforge will probably take a very long time to produce, though. The Kern examples are amazing.
    The FSL versions are no where near the quality Matt, the others are all RF lasers so have much better beam control and rise speeds

On the trinket I agree with Doug, somebody has photoshopped the hell out of that, look at the top where the spikey bits are, they seem to be above the height of the border ergo the entire border would have to be engraved away but it doesn't have a laser engraved finish
    You did what !

In fact I'd go further and say I very much doubt that was produced on a glowforge
    You did what !

I have no idea from looking at a picture how big the subject?
    Uh, then why did you say the engraving was 1/4" deep? One clue to its small size is the blurring of focus at the top and bottom: lack of depth-of-field at short range.

Or maybe it's the size of a manhole cover, was CNC carved on a ShopBot, the charring airbrushed in after the fact, and rather poorly photographed...which do you think is more likely?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    Somebody please tell me how to control charring color. Creating light colored char and dark colored char in different areas that are engraved at the same depth. Within the rings around the lasers / the ribbon behind the rings. The sun at the top / behind the ribbon at the top. The pebbles everywhere. Inside the logo at the bottom. Somebody Photoshoped the heck out of this thing.
    I would guess someone went over it with a qtip and alcohol post-engraving, selectively removing burn marks to make the engraving look deeper. They didn't do a real great job of it, but no PS was required.

Whether it was done on a GF or not... don't know, don't care. But there's nothing particularly difficult about doing this on a laser.

This is what I said," Your laser can dig 1/4 inch into the wood and not have a problem with burning? Plus you would need to remove the burnt material as you went. I would guess that the large dig outs were done with a CNC router and the finishing was done with a laser."

Lee I am sure that you can do this with your skill and talent (even just 1 or 2 mm deep) with your machine and looking forward to seeing the work.
    My point (again) is that no CNC router is required. And no, I'm not going to make a GF emblem to prove it: I have better uses for my time and there are more than enough examples of similar work on ULS/Epilog/et al.

(Note: I am totally agnostic on the subject of whether this was actually done with a GF. It certainly does not reflect any unique ability of the GF if it was.)

There are a lot of machines that can do this, thing is most of them are RF fired, DC tubes, even high quality tubes like GSI and Coherant simply don't respond fast enough to get really high quality engraving.
    You did what !

I would guess someone went over it with a qtip and alcohol post-engraving, selectively removing burn marks to make the engraving look deeper. They didn't do a real great job of it, but no PS was required.

Whether it was done on a GF or not... don't know, don't care. But there's nothing particularly difficult about doing this on a laser.
    Sounds good but I personally doubt it was a Q-tip. Deep engraving MDF produces lots of char. The Q-tip would just soak the char into the porous wood. Plus I've never seen MDF engrave smoothly that deep. It's usually full of tiny pin-holes like the area around the small laser guns and to the left of the upper ribbon. I'm sure they took a pinch of the millions of dollars they brought in and hired a photoshop guru to "prettify" every image they put out.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    My point (again) is that no CNC router is required. And no, I'm not going to make a GF emblem to prove it: I have better uses for my time and there are more than enough examples of similar work on ULS/Epilog/et al.

(Note: I am totally agnostic on the subject of whether this was actually done with a GF. It certainly does not reflect any unique ability of the GF if it was.)
    Not gonna speculate if that image was of something produced on a GF or not, but I thought these were pretty cool:

http://www.kernlasers.com/applicatio...ser-engraving/

It's a software feature. I'm not sure if the common Chinese controllers have this, so might have to look around for that info.
    It can be done if the machine is set up PWM rather than analog, most Chinese machines are set 0-5v trigger rather than PWM even though the power supplies can actually do it as can the control cards from Leetro, Ruida and AWC. I rewired one of mine to use PWM, it was a fun exercise but didn't really achieve much as I do very little engraving
    You did what !

heres one I tried way back when I had the fsl working.If I recall it took about 3 to 4 hours to do, and its not really good 3d . It looks more like steps then an even progression. This piece is about 3" x 4" x1/4" and its almost thru at the deepest points.IMG_20161213_114517001_HDR (Copy).jpgIMG_20161213_114453345 (Copy).jpgIMG_20161213_114545950 (Copy).jpgIMG_20161213_114554200 (Copy).jpgsorry bad photos but maybe you get the idea.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

15. Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    No, I'll not try, but I'll bet it took 3 days to run that. And fwiw,id not trust that it was run on a gf unless I was standing there watching it.
    I've been able to see the GF at a maker faire, it can do that. The macro lens on the shot makes the work piece look larger than it is. It's a capable machine. More capable by far than a K40 though in terms of traditional work output no more special (I didn't get to see the camera tracing feature) than an import CO2 laser and certainly nowhere near any of the big three. The quality of the software is good but cloud based processing is still the weak link though it performed well. The issues over the life of the project have been hardware design, design for manufacturing and inability to scale manufacturing.

Software guys with a pretty good idea (easy to use laser engravers for non tech types) thought they could do hardware. By the time they added manufacturing and laser specific design staff to fix the initial design (not even a year ago) coupled with the inability to get a production line to scale without significant defects in manufacturing has led them to where they are right now. They needed to be somewhere like Foxconn or Flextronics and not trying to roll their own assembly with sourced subassemblies. EDIT: They have announced that Flex will be the CM. Flex makes Mac Pros in the US, the Xbox in China and Surface Studio in the same Texas plant as the Mac Pro.

It's not a scam, it's merely a poorly implemented manufacturing startup. They've got big names behind them in the second round so I'd bet there will be changes made in the management (they've already changed contractors) to be able to get the first run out the door. At this point I don't know what it means for them long term. The buzz is gone, the window has been missed and it's turned into a similar situation to what happened at Makerbot. If they miss the spring deadline there is a good chance they'll be done, particularly if there are a flood of refunds from the latest delay.

There are reasons they say "hardware is hard". Here's one reason the fits the situation at GF to a tee... http://lemnoslabs.com/2014/01/09/why-hardware-is-hard/
    Last edited by Dave Stevens-Vegas; 12-13-2016 at 3:16 PM. Reason: they did go to flextronics