Page 40 of 118 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge release

Beautiful work Bert
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I did a pretty good 3D burn of a rose once with my Truimph, and it was by accident. I played with the photo in grayscale until the contrast between light & dark was extreme. I just had the Triumph create its own photo bitmap and ran it a couple of times at fairly high res and I was surprised at the varying depths.

That said, I've never actually tried to do 3D work, but it seems that almost as important as the machine is the info you're feeding it...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    but it seems that almost as important as the machine is the info you're feeding it...
    And even more important? Can you make any money with it? That's a rhetorical question but I'll go ahead and answer it anyway - NO, you can't. Even with my speedy-fast Trotec, 3D engraving takes way longer than anyone would be willing to pay for. If you are interested in making money then stick with high-volume, fast-turnaround items, not one-off pieces that (almost) nobody wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    And even more important? Can you make any money with it? That's a rhetorical question but I'll go ahead and answer it anyway - NO, you can't. Even with my speedy-fast Trotec, 3D engraving takes way longer than anyone would be willing to pay for. If you are interested in making money then stick with high-volume, fast-turnaround items, not one-off pieces that (almost) nobody wants.

That assumes a direct to consumer model, but for some people laser engraving isn’t the business they are in, but instead the laser is just one of several tools they’re using to produce their products.

5. We don't have evidence that the Glowforge 3D engrave piece was made fully on an actual Glowforge and not a CNC or some other laser, but it is at least real and not Photoshopped. You can see the CEO hold it up to the camera in the archive of their Q&A livestream from December 2. This also gives a sense of the scale of the thing, relative to his hand anyway.

https://youtu.be/3tsMmBacqwY?t=33m40s (That should go to 33:41 in the video which is where he talks about the 3D engrave.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel P. Jones View Post
    We don't have evidence that the Glowforge 3D engrave piece was made fully on an actual Glowforge and not a CNC or some other laser, but it is at least real and not Photoshopped.
    I didn't expect it to be half inch thick maple. No mention of how long it took. He also shows an unfinished one before cleaning up, not cut out.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

now your telling us it cut half inch maple with a 40 watt laser , must have taken 20 pass's or more and hours and hours and hours to do it.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

There is a recent tested.com video that mentions an engrave took 40 minutes and it wasn't a complicated or large piece. I would guess the 3d sample that GlowForge posted took quite some time. They aren't advertising superspeed or anything, and it's a hobby machine for low volume, so it's not really a strike against them, just is what it is.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    now your telling us it cut half inch maple with a 40 watt laser , must have taken 20 pass's or more and hours and hours and hours to do it.
    Actually they can cut 1/2 inch thick maple with a single pass, from what I could tell they were engraving around the item, lots of single pulses rather than one continuous cut. It's an interesting idea and I keep meaning to try it on one of our smaller machines. It was dirty but that's just a compromise if it actually works.

Martin where do you get your info from? Did you see it cut 1/2" maple ? I have a 60 watt laser that can't cut 1/2 in one pass not even to pass's . I can see how a 40 watt laser could do it unless its running at 1/2mmps at 100% pwr and then it would still not be likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Raynsford View Post
    Actually they can cut 1/2 inch thick maple with a single pass, from what I could tell they were engraving around the item, lots of single pulses rather than one continuous cut. It's an interesting idea and I keep meaning to try it on one of our smaller machines. It was dirty but that's just a compromise if it actually works.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Here's a time-lapse video of the 3D laser engraving. You can slow it down to examine the grassy knoll before submitting to the Warren Commission.

Looks like 1/4" walnut to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Here's a time-lapse video of the 3D laser engraving. You can slow it down to examine the grassy knoll before submitting to the Warren Commission.

Looks like 1/4" walnut to me.
    Two engraving passes, (at least) 4 cut-out passes. Comparing the piece to the width of the bed and allowing for lens distortion, maybe 5"-6" overall, comparing thickness to the honeycomb cells, 1/2" thick. I wish there some indication of how much time compression, but 10:1 seems reasonable.

But I'd guess cherry, not walnut. :-)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Two engraving passes, (at least) 4 cut-out passes. Comparing the piece to the width of the bed and allowing for lens distortion, maybe 5"-6" overall, comparing thickness to the honeycomb cells, 1/2" thick. I wish there some indication of how much time compression, but 10:1 seems reasonable.

But I'd guess cherry, not walnut. :-)
    I guess I could have checked.

"Published on Dec 11, 2016

We used a Glowforge to 3D engrave a medallion on 1/4" (6mm) Proofgrade walnut hardwood."

The original photo looks like maple, though.

Almost looks to be two different jobs? Maybe all the former GlowForge buyers need to look at getting one of those Woodpecker dual machines, router and laser all in one referenced above. It would have been nice to have a working one.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Two engraving passes... I wish there some indication of how much time compression, but 10:1 seems reasonable
    running that vid it at 1/4 speed, the machine 'appears' to be running at near normal speed, however, it also appears that it skipping 1 or 2 frames of the video. That puts it somewhere between 8x or 12x speed, at 8x 2:15 = exactly 9 minutes for the one pass, 13-1/2 minutes at 12x Given the apparent size of the part, either speed sounds reasonable, but I'm leaning more towards 10 or 12x speed simply because I know how fast my 40w LS900 cuts wood that deep, and it's not all that fast-- 2 passes to get that deep I'd be looking at a minimum of 20-25 minutes at 400dpi.

anyway...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle