Thread: Laguna/sawstop sliding attachments

Laguna/sawstop sliding attachments

So after much thought and almost picking up an older excalibur table I have decided that I'm going to get either the sawstop slider or laguna slider.

I have a dewalt track saw system that I can break down sheets into smaller sizes with and then use the slider for squaring and lots of other jobs.

Question though. And this is the deciding factor for me...

Has anyone added or know where to get a longer fence for the Laguna set up? It goes to 41" and sawstop goes to 58". I need the extra length but paying $300 more for the extension is something I would like to avoid if possible.

Anyone help me out or have suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian

You can add extra length to either by simply putting a longer wooden face on the fence. If you want to go fancy, mill a T slot in it for stops.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Good suggestion!

I was really hoping for a longer extrusion though so I don't have to add the sacrificial face extension and then take it off. Also the way saw stop sets it up the scale is built into the extension which is nice.

I'm probably over thinking things but I have a horrible habit of that.

I'll go the route you suggested if I can't find a way to extend the extrusion. Or convince the wife and myself that $300 is worth it...

Thanks.

I guess another way to ask is this.

Why when you Google the Laguna sliding table the first few pictuses of it on a sawstop and new unisaw show it with a considerably longer fence.

Similar to the length sawstop has now, I called laguna and the guy was kind of clueless.

Was the long fence standard a few years back or an option? Anyone have one of these that could chime in?

Thanks

I'm no help on the fence length. Maybe try calling Laguna about it?

Note that grizzly sells what appears to be the exact same sliding table, with a red fence rather than a blue one. And it is quite a bit cheaper than the laguna based on my quick search:

http://grizzly.com/search?q=%28sliding+OR+table%29

Thanks Peter

The Grizzly is about $100 cheaper than Laguna I've seen that. The problem with the Grizzly is that the fence is even shorter than the Laguna model. I did try to call laguna and the sales man I talked to didn't really have a good answer for me, I had a feeling that I knew more about the product and he did.

Thanks for the suggestion

Brian, I might have misunderstood, but do you already have a SawStop table saw? If so, I know if I were looking to add a slider to my SawStop PCS it would kill me to put a Laguna or worse a Grizzly product on my nice SawStop setup. Im afraid Id have to do with the SawStop slider just on principal alone! But then, maybe you arent as OCD about stuff like that as I can be! lol Just something to think about.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have seen others, and I myself have added a longer fence to my sliding saw, rather than seeking one from the dealer. I used a longer fence from the folks at Incra Tools. You can get different lengths to suit your situation and shop size. If you go with Incra, it is worth also getting one of their fence stops for repeatable cuts. Nicely made and will really upgrade your machine and slider.

Mike,

Did you just attach the fence to the face of the existing fence?

Or did you replace it and bolt the infra to the half moon angle gauge?

Got a picture by chance?

Thanks!

About 5 years ago I installed the Grizzly sliding table on my SawStop PCS. I've been quite happy with it.
    Laguna, Busy Bee and King all look the same. Later I made some changes to the installation which allowed me to remove the legs.005.JPG
    At the time I took a lot of pictures of the install and the modifications
    Cheers,

Tim

Brian, I just cut a length of aluminum angle, drilled holes in line with the slots on the back of the rail, and used 1/4-20 bolts and nuts for the head. I used the 10 mm tapped holes in the end of the sliding table to attach the angle aluminum. I have seen other slider owners use the slots in the sliding table to attach a miter gauge, so it is doable (is that a word?). I plan to do that some time later.
    Sorry about the lack of pictures; I have not learned to attach them yet. My daughter will be home for Christmas, so she can teach me.