Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: UAS and FAA :Drone licensing: Anyone else have one?

You might argue that point, and it's valid. If you're flying around a park and it goes around a stand of trees, you need that view to see where it is.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Ahem. "Rule". The FAA (and any other government agency) can only write rules.
    ^^^This. I work for the FAA in air traffic (nothing high level, I assure you) and we're still sorting all of this out too. I do not speak for the agency but big league bureaucrats aside, I will say that what we care about in my little corner of the aviation world is safety of the National Airspace System. UAS incidents are increasing every month it seems and we clearly can't do nothing. I'm pretty sure these rules will evolve over time.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

This is the kit I'm building.
    ebay.com/itm/201482901848
    It comes with extra parts for repairs. It was missing the camera, but a note to the seller was answered immediately. A new cam is on the way.
    You need to buy a battery, or more, and a charger. Li Po batteries are finicky, and need to be used correctly.

This is the article I'm following for the build. A bit light on the electronics, but good overall. I'll have to find more info on the electronics.
    The bodies are made out of soda bottles. Imagine a flying Coca Cola. Hmmm.
    learnrobotix.com/uavs/quadcopter-build/fpv-racing-quadcopter/how-to-build-a-fpv-racing-quadcopter.html
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-09-2016 at 2:33 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I'm not sure why everyone insists on calling quad copters drones. Aren't real drones aircraft like the Predator military drones?
    Right?! It's stupid

I'm not sure why everyone insists on calling quad copters drones. Aren't real drones aircraft like the Predator military drones?
    Yeah. It's stupid, but those in the hobby call them drones.
    No need to nit-pick.

They apparently are working on a solution in the Netherlands...

http://time.com/4202469/dutch-police-eagle-drones/

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries

From dictionary.com:
    noun
    1. the male of the honeybee and other bees, stingless and making no honey.

• an unmanned aircraft or ship that can navigate autonomously, without human control or beyond line of sight: the GPS of a U.S. spy drone.
    • (loosely) any unmanned aircraft or ship that is guided remotely: a radio-controlled drone.

3. a person who lives on the labor of others; parasitic loafer.

4. a drudge.

Does this clear things up for you?
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 02-03-2016 at 8:04 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Some of them can be programmed with a set flight path and altitude. You turn it on, give it coordinates, and away it goes.
    It's a drone. They can also be told to follow you, and return to you. All by themselves.

Blog Entries
    I have found that being technically correct is not always the best way to communicate. Just ask Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Drone

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    I have found that being technically correct is not always the best way to communicate. Just ask Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory.
    The kid next door has one. It is quite large. I told him if I saw it flying over my house I would give a load of #6 shot. He gave me the "Right" look. I just smiled and walked off.

I really hope he tries it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hines View Post
    The kid next door has one. It is quite large. I told him if I saw it flying over my house I would give a load of #6 shot. He gave me the "Right" look. I just smiled and walked off.

I really hope he tries it.
    Great idea posting your devious plans on-line!

Most people introduce themselves for the first post.
    Perhaps we have a troll.

Anyway, for a GPS/barometric enabled drone, you're looking at $1,500, to start.
    The one I'm building can have those modules added in, and connected to the flight controller. These things aren't exactly toys. You have to set the receiver/flight controller up with your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Most people introduce themselves for the first post.
    Perhaps we have a troll.
    A very patient one, waiting 5 years for his first post.
    Gerry

JointCAM