Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which bandsaw ??

Cool which bandsaw ??

I've been looking at entry-level bandsaws under $800, Jet, Grizzly G0555 series, etc. Any suggestions are appreciated. The Grizzly G0555x, 1.5 hp, for $775 looks like a good deal. Thanks for your usual wonderful responses..

If you spend ~$100 more now for a G0513 you won't wish you had in a year or three. The one at work usually has a 1/4" blade in it, 5 years in of daily use by students it's still going fine. The one in my basement has a .025" x 1/2" Trimaster carbide tipped blade in it and it resaws like a champ.
    Kevin Groenke
    @personmakeobject on instagram
    Fabrication Director,UMN College of Design (retired!)

I've had the 555x for 4 years now. I do a lot of tight radiuses with a 1/4" blade and resaw with a 3/4" blade in maple, cherry and maple.
    I added a riser block so I have 12" of resaw capability.
    It's been a good machine, though the dust collection is poor.
    It's stout and I like the quick release mechanism so you can release blade tension when not in use.
    The bearing adjustments for the blade are not great. I find that after I get the bearings adjusted to the blade it goes out of whack when I tighten down the set screw to secure my adjustments. Not sure if that makes sense.

It's been a good saw, plenty of power and the grizzly resaw fence is great.
    I'd look closely at the 513 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Groenke View Post
    If you spend ~$100 more now for a G0513 you won't wish you had in a year or three. The one at work usually has a 1/4" blade in it, 5 years in of daily use by students it's still going fine. The one in my basement has a .025" x 1/2" Trimaster carbide tipped blade in it and it resaws like a champ.
    This^. I have a G0555 (no X) which I bought not real long after they came out. It'd been a fine saw, but it only cost me around $400 I believe. If I were considering $800, I'd step up to the G0513 as you get enough upgrades to justify the slight increase in cost. When I bought my 0555, the 0513 was at least twice the cost of the 0555.

You didn't mention this one....Laguna 14Twelve...it's a little north of your price range but should be considered.....it's a great saw

I have the 0513ANV at home and where I volunteer. Love them both. Definitely upgrade the blade, it's worth it. First machine I ever bought new and I could not be happier.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

Before you decide, you need to identify what it is you are wanting to do. If you are mostly wanting to cut curves and fine details on small pieces, The G0555 will probably be a great saw. I can't say for sure because I am only familiar with it by reputation. It is sterling. If you want to do a lot of resawing, you need a stiffer bandsaw with a welded steel frame and no need for a height extension retrofit. I have the Laguna 14/Twelve that has already been mentioned. I have been extremely pleased with it. The Grizzly G0513, even the least expensive configuration, will probably also serve you well. Again, I can't say for sure because I don't own one. I also own a Craftsman/Rikon 1 HP bandsaw that i use for detail work. I used to use it for resawing too and it did fairly well for less than 9 inch widths. You might want to see what current models Rikon has to offer.

If you read a lot on this forum, you will come across posts where someone claims that an Italian made 3 HP 18 or 20 inch saw (or similar) is the minimum worth buying. I am here to say you can get a very competent saw for around your target price. The fit and finish may not be as pretty and it may be considerably slower but it will do most jobs just as well as the more expensive saws. I know from decades of experience.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 12-24-2015 at 12:31 PM.

I have a G0555 anniversary edition (not the 1.5hp version). It works fine for resawing with the riser block. Maybe slow for some, but it's quite accurate and I can cut 1/16" veneers with not much issue. That being said, I do run into the arm more than I thought I would when cutting in a flat orientation. If you have the cash and 220V, get the 513 17" saw.

Thanks for all the usual great responses. I'm not planning on doing much resawing and want to stay in my price range so the 555x grizzly is looking good...I realize the advantage of spending a little more for the 0513 but a little here and there and soon I'm past my target price. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Seward View Post
    You didn't mention this one....Laguna 14Twelve...it's a little north of your price range but should be considered.....it's a great saw
    This is a great saw.
    War Eagle!

The band saw is not a bad tool to buy used. The stuff that wears out is not hard to fix.

Personally, I like the idea of getting a big saw. I found a 19" saw on Craigslist, and I like the added cutting capacity. It also does small work just fine. The owner took $850 for a saw with virtually no wear. If you want to spend less, you should be able to get a good 14" saw for under $350.

Get good tires. Mine turned into something resembling cheese, and it was really hard to remove.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

Spend more for your bandsaw than any other tool in your shop.

That might be good advice for some people but not everybody.

I have no dog in this fight and I am not going to suggest you spend another $300-$400 over your target amount. I would in fact suggest that you go with the G0555LX at $545 and use the difference to buy a couple high quality blades and some accessories. I don't think unless you do a lot of resaw work you will notice a gain with the additional horsepower. If down the road you decide you need more saw you can more easily recoup on your investment. Just my observation and it has no monetary value I assure you. As they say about opinions....well I will let that one lie. Good luck either way.

dont forget about the Rikon 10-325, 13" resaw capacity and plenty of power

its a lot of bandsaw for the money
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired