Thread: How to build miniature Ebony & Rosewood boxes

How to build miniature Ebony & Rosewood boxes

This is a long form instructional video that I just finished, showing how I make very small decorative boxes. These were made from ebony and rosewood with maple inlay. The interior is fitted with maple and leather. If you just want a flavor of the video, you can watch the first and last few minutes to get an overview of the boxes. Thanks for watching.

Well done on the boxes and video. Reminded me of my silversmithing days.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I watched for a little while. They are very attractive boxes. What do you put in them ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    I watched for a little while. They are very attractive boxes. What do you put in them ?

They are gift boxes for people to use as they wish. I think they are best suited as pill boxes.

Nice little box and video, a great uses of scraps.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

The video is well done. It makes me want to go out to my shop and try it for myself. I'm not sure how many people would be willing to devote almost 43 minutes to watch it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    The video is well done. It makes me want to go out to my shop and try it for myself. I'm not sure how many people would be willing to devote almost 43 minutes to watch it, though.
    Fortunately nobody is forced to watch videos. I create the long videos (sometimes) because some people do enjoy them. There's something for everybody in this world. Thanks for watching.

Fortuna

I think my favorite part is the shot of the dozen drawers full of table saw blades. With hand tools it sometimes seems like there is a plane for every possible task, and it makes me chuckle to see it is no different in the power tool world.

The boxes are very nicely done. I will have to give that a shot one of these days.

Very nice little boxes. I did watch the entire video and it was well done.

Thanks for sharing.

May I ask where you got the little blue clamp you used for cutting the cavity for the inlay?
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Thank you. The blue clamp is an Inlay Vise, made and sold by William Ng. See it here: http://shop.wnwoodworkingschool.com/...Inlay-Vise.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    Very nice little boxes. I did watch the entire video and it was well done.

Thanks for sharing.

May I ask where you got the little blue clamp you used for cutting the cavity for the inlay?

I liked his boxes and videos so much that I tried making one myself. It came out very well and was a fun build.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I liked his boxes and videos so much that I tried making one myself. It came out very well and was a fun build.
    Please take a couple of pictures. I love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Backe View Post
    Thank you. The blue clamp is an Inlay Vise, made and sold by William Ng. See it here: http://shop.wnwoodworkingschool.com/...Inlay-Vise.htm

Thanks for the link. I am very interested in getting one of them. I went to the sight and could not find any info on the operation. Is the knob on the back to adjust the tension for different thickness in material? How is it connected to the work surface?

Thanks
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    Thanks for the link. I am very interested in getting one of them. I went to the sight and could not find any info on the operation. Is the knob on the back to adjust the tension for different thickness in material? How is it connected to the work surface?

Thanks
    Exactly. The knob on the back adjusts the tension on the piece based on how thick it is. The front lever also screws in and out. Think of it as a small variation of your wooden handscrew clamp. There are two holes in the bottom plate that you use to secure it to your work surface. Mine is mounted to a board. The board is then clamped to my bench when I need to use it.

It's nicely made and I'm glad I purchased it.
    Last edited by Marty Backe; 12-29-2015 at 8:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    I think my favorite part is the shot of the dozen drawers full of table saw blades. With hand tools it sometimes seems like there is a plane for every possible task, and it makes me chuckle to see it is no different in the power tool world.

The boxes are very nicely done. I will have to give that a shot one of these days.

You can never have too many saw blades ;-)