Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad Axe v. Gramercy dovetail saw hang angle

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Siemsen View Post
    I believe that there is a direct correlation between the hang of a saw and the angle of the rake. If a saw is too aggressive relax the rake. Not aggressive enough increase the rake angle. So the two saws in question could be made to cut similarly by adjusting the rake angle.

Absolutely correct. The rest is comfort and preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Siemsen View Post
    I believe that there is a direct correlation between the hang of a saw and the angle of the rake. If a saw is too aggressive relax the rake. Not aggressive enough increase the rake angle. So the two saws in question could be made to cut similarly by adjusting the rake angle.
    Yes, indeed .. that was the issue I was linking to in my earlier post:

"When starting the saw cut one has a choice of three methods from which to choose. The “Rob Cosman” method is to start at the far edge of the board, saw a slight bevel, and then saw horizontal. The advantage here is that the blade gains a purchase in the wood for sawing. The downside is that a saw with zero rake will get stuck in the kerf.

The “Joel Moskowitz” method is to start on the horizontal and cut the wood evenly. The saw here is easier to start than with Rob’s method.

Finally, the “Adam Cherubini” method is to start the cut on the near edge so that one can follow the two adjoining marked lines, and then level the saw. This also effectively reduced the rake of the teeth and makes for an easy start. The downside is that a low bench can make the stance uncomfortable.

The “Rob Cosman”

The “Joel Moskowitz”

The “Adam Cherubini”

One significant issue in evaluating the “feel” of a dovetail saw is that the saw may be used differently by users. The hang, the rake of the teeth, the angle at which it is held to the wood … all these factors affect the relationship of the saw to the wood. One saw may be experienced differently by a variety of users because they do not use these aspects in the identical manner."

Some have disagreed that the effect stated above is achieved simply by sawing at a different angle. However, I am referring only to the start of the saw cut. Once this has begun, a more aggressive tooth rake cuts more quickly without the difficulty associated with the initial saw cut.

Regards from Perth

Derek

the weight of the spine is the third part of that correlation.

The weight of the spine or the total weight of the saw plate and spine could make a difference but most backsaws don't vary that much. Since there is no spine on handsaws it would have no effect there.