Thread: Magnet for Turning tool holder?

Question Magnet for Turning tool holder?

Greetings all. I am working to come up with a way to hold my turning tools. I have seen alot of pics that show using a magnet. My question is, won't this magnetize the tools? I bought some broom handle clips but they have way too strong of a grip and actually dents/scratches the handle. I am considering returning to the magnet but am concerned about magnetizing the tools. Any input and ideas?

Jay, Make sure your faceshield is in the down position 'cause Food-Fight comin

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Jay, Make sure your faceshield is in the down position 'cause Food-Fight comin
    Too funny. I didn't realize that it was such a touchy subject?

Thanks John.

but am concerned about magnetizing the tools.
    It will magnetize the tools. I don't like magnetized lathe tools for two reasons. First, if magnetized too much they stick to the tool rest when I don't want them to.

Second, if magnetized just a little they can pick up powdery steel dust from grinding. If transferred to the wood it can get into the pores. I sharpen on a Tormek with a CBN wheel and even a lightly magnetized tool will trail a long wide tail of steel dust which is a bit annoying, but worse, hides the edge so I can't see what's going on. Unfortunately my lathe tools get lightly magnetized even from normal use when they never get near a magnet. I use an old bulk audio tape eraser at my sharpening station to demagnetize the tools.

JKJ

It is a shame that this occurs, but we gotta love physics I am still playing with the idea of using broom clips and have found some that the springs are not so strong at the BORG that I might use...had another thought...why not just drill and thread in screw eyes on bottom of the handle then could mount them on hooks? I am trying to recall if there is ever a case where having a the eye on the butt end of the turning tool would ever be an issue? The only thing I can think of is that sharpening them with my PSI attachment would be an issue as the butt end sticks into the cup end of the jig...

I guess I just don't like the idea of my tools "hanging" nose down, or for that matter, being "supported" by clips. I would hate to have one of them take a "fall" and damage the handle, or cause me to have to regrind the nose, etc.

The racks that are shown in the thread I referenced can be put together very quickly from scrap lumber. They don't need to be pretty - just functional. I think I built two racks in under 45 minutes.

horizontal rack

I am still playing with the idea of using broom clips
    I store tools differently depending on the size, type, and how often I use them.

Here is one rack I built on a piece of plywood. I used 2.5" deck screws with pieces of maybe 1/4" clear plastic tubing slipped on for cushioning. This is mostly to keep some larger tools within two steps. The supports can be easily moved. It does take up a bit of wall space and there is not room for 100 tools. Everything is easy to identify, no chance of falls, nothing to add to the handle.

My shop helper points out his favorites before we mount the thing on the wall.

tool_rack.jpg

I don't like tools pointed down in tubes or something where I can't see the ends. Some don't like tools pointed up, especially if they are uncoordinated. Maybe sideways is a good compromise.

JKJ

Weird I never thought of this happening. I have a board with a HF magnet bar on my work table. It keeps my tools from rolling off when I set them down. I haven't noticed any issues so far.

Bob, the two issues I have noticed with magnetized lathe tools are having the tool hold metal particles after sharpening, and sticking to the tool rest when turning, which could be a safety issue, and at the least, annoying at times. When I first started turning, I used a magnet bar. Now it is relegated to the various Allen wrenches, chuck key, etc.

I built a couple of the racks that John Keeton provided the plans for. Very simple and they work great!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?