Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6" Rigid Flex Hose

6" Rigid Flex Hose

I am looking for some 6" rigid flex hose like the Rockler FlexForm hose or the Stay-Put hose from Woodcraft. It's the stuff you can bend and it stays in place. I want to use it at the drill press and the lathe.

So far I have been unable to find a source for 6" flex hose of any kind.

Any source suggestions?

Thanks,
    JimE

I use this stuff for 6" flex. It's not exactly rigid, but it's pretty daggone stiff, and doesn't move around once you bend it like you want it.

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD...m_no=SCOLLECT8

Thanks Tom.

I'm looking for something that can come off the steel pipe at the wall and collect dust/chips at the lathe and drill press. It also has to be able to be adjusted. Does the Oneida stuff do that?

JimE

I don't see why not. That's similar to what I do with it. It telescopes lengthwise like you would expect it to, and flexes so you can bend it. It's pretty heavy and stiff. You would probably have to run over it with a truck to collapse it.

Thanks Tom.

I looked at the Rockler Flex Form stuff. It's not like that. It's like a SUPER heavy duty flex duct.

Aluminum flex duct at the BORG? It's in the vent section, very small ridges, check it out.

Tom - I have some of the Rockler stuff but I don't find it in 6". That's what I was really looking for.

Bill - I look at that duct hose again. I didn't think it was stiff enough to stand out right for 18-24".

Why not just use metal ductwork?

I want to be able to move it up/down, left/right.

The table on the DP is not always at the same height and the lathe would depend on the length and position of the piece. Thanks.

The flex duct I was talking about won't self support 24", or even hold a 90 degree bend by itself. It could be attached to the back of the DP table somehow, but not sure about the lathe-maybe a rectangular inlet that would slide.

Perhaps I could use a moveable bracket of some sort.

Jim, have you tried using the 4" of Rockler flexform at the drill press and lathe yet? Is there a reason you want to stick with 6"? I would think a short run of 4" flexform would supply enough CFM at a drill press and at a lathe, especially if you use a hood at the lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    Jim, have you tried using the 4" of Rockler flexform at the drill press and lathe yet? Is there a reason you want to stick with 6"? I would think a short run of 4" flexform would supply enough CFM at a drill press and at a lathe, especially if you use a hood at the lathe.
    Kent, The only reason is I have just put in 6" metal ducting to the Gorilla and the drop at the wall is 6". I thought I would maintain max cfm if I could. I do have some of the 4" stuff and if all fails, I will use it. I think it would be fine for the drill press. The lathe just throws crap all over so the 6" may collect more of it.

Thanks, JimE

Jim, take a look at this shop made solution for dust extraction for the lathe using what looks like 5" or 6" flex hose. Maybe something like this would work for your shop?

https://youtu.be/hWtGikWXmzo?t=9m47s