Thread: Filling skeletonized table saw wings?

Filling skeletonized table saw wings?

I got a pretty good deal on my well-loved craftsman contractor table saw (114.298761) and now I'm looking at my options for solid extension wings.

I've seen advice for buying new (not budget friendly), replacing with melamine panels, and facing the skeletons with laminate. Has anybody tried filling the skeletonized cast iron wings with fortified casting resin? Polyester, acrylic, or other? Chopped or woven fiberglass?

Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Why fill them. I've used mine for over 35 years with no problems other than an occasional dropped tool.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I had a saw with open web wings & hated every minute of it. Filling with casting resin sounds like a good idea. I'd face the top with p-lam & then pour the resin in from behind. You might have to drill out some of the mounting holes to get the wings flush with the table.

On second thought, I'd probably just toss the wings & make new out of Baltic Birch & p-lam.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ighlight=wings

If you take a look at the link above, Bill Huber has a good example of what you're looking to do. There may be more ideas in the whole thread, I didn't really look. I just remembered his post and looked it up.

I'd probably just replace them with new tables made of a sturdy wood frame with either Melemine or laminate covered plywood. "Filling" them would likely be a thankless task!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I read that Huber thread before posting, but somehow missed the hardboard insert idea. Upon further review, that seems to be a fabulous idea! Thanks for reminding me!

Blog Entries
    You could start a new tend and fill them with concrete, just like latest kitchen countertops!
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    You could start a new tend and fill them with concrete, just like latest kitchen countertops!

The thought had crossed my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Why fill them. I've used mine for over 35 years with no problems other than an occasional dropped tool.
    x2, what is the point?? have also used mine for years. i can't imagine having so little to do in the shop that i'm filling extension wings...

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Ellis View Post
    x2, what is the point?? have also used mine for years. i can't imagine having so little to do in the shop that i'm filling extension wings...
    Maybe this doesn't happen but I always visualize getting my finger trapped down in one of those openings while I'm pushing some wood across it. Those edges are fairly sharp.

I just prefer solid wings, which is what I have now.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Maybe this doesn't happen but I always visualize getting my finger trapped down in one of those openings while I'm pushing some wood across it. Those edges are fairly sharp.

Mike
    That's exactly what happened to me..ONCE when I had my Craftsman contractor. It took me all of an hour to make the inserts and I never clipped a finger tip again. Besides, to me it just looked better and I could actually use the saw top for other things without things falling through the webs.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries

Mike
    I must be gifted with a bad memory because I would pinch myself on those stupid wings every couple of years. That & having things fall through made me hate em.

I think they're satan's own creation.

13. I'm with those who reported no problem after years of use with the open grid extensions. (I will admit that I would prefer solid, but not really a big deal for me over the years.

Maybe this doesn't happen but I always visualize getting my finger trapped down in one of those openings while I'm pushing some wood across it. Those edges are fairly sharp....
    This happened on my dad's contractor saw. I actually de-burred all the edges with a file and it helped but still, a solid table would be nicer.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep