Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will this...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Myers View Post
    Why is everyone saying the Laguna Revo's have DC motors when their website lists the 18",20" and 24 " as having TEFC Induction motors with Delta VFD's?
    Brian, I saw that too. But doesn't the spec sheet that John Keaton posted above list the motors for the T50 T60 as DC brushless? Perhaps that's only the spec sheet for the Harvey models. Shouldn't be hard for someone to clear this up with a phone call or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Myers View Post
    Why is everyone saying the Laguna Revo's have DC motors when their website lists the 18",20" and 24 " as having TEFC Induction motors with Delta VFD's?
    Brian I may be wrong but I think Induction motors are DC. My Laguna Revo 2436 has a brushless DC induction motor.

3. My former G0698 had what they called a TEFC D/C Brushless motor......the REVO lineup has D/C motors on them. D/C motors are generally high efficiency, run cooler, and can have the same horsepower in a smaller package than an A/C induction motor.

My former G0698 did not use an inverter like a 3 phase A/C motor does, but rather a controller to manage the torque at lower speeds. Some of research I did on D/C motors speak of their reliability in industrial uses.

They call D/C motors SERVO motors.......I think the REVO moniker is probably a play on that term, but that is just a guess on my part...... I do think some of these tool vendors are rather liberal with their use of terms, in order to try to make selling points!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 01-04-2016 at 11:14 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Ok , just used to DC motors being called/listed as DC and not as just Induction which lead me to believe they aren't DC but AC.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

5. Quote Originally Posted by Brian Myers View Post
    Ok , just used to DC motors being called/listed as DC and not as just Induction which lead me to believe they aren't DC but AC.
    The Laguna REVO line of lathes uses D/C motors. If their motors are configured like the Grizzly D/C motors were on the G0698, it has a controller and an encoder inside the motor to give feedback to the controller which in turn governs torque.

Additional: I just went to the Laguna website - the pic shows a D/C motor, but on the video where he is showing the 2036 unit at the AAW symposium, the motor is mostly covered from view by a sign stuck on it. That view sort of looks like an A/C induction motor, so I wonder if they have changed them, or that was just a demo model, and had different specs? The casing on the D/C motors are square, but the A/C are round.

Okay...just looked at the manual ...page 5, "lathe is driven by a brushless D/C Servo motor". The 2436 unit.

Another additional: I just checked my email, and got an ad from Klingslor, and they are featuring the 1836 Revo from Laguna.....it has an A/C TEFC induction motor, and a Delta Electronics S1 inverter, which is the same one on the 3520b.

Looks like it depends on which unit one gets, whether they will get an A/C or D/C motor.......confusing, isn't it?! The Revo 2036 at Woodcraft website shows a D/C motor on the picture, and so does the 2436 Revo.......the 1836 seems to be the one with the A/C motor.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 01-04-2016 at 3:00 PM. Reason: Additional
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!