Thread: Darker 21" Fiddle Maple Platter

Darker 21" Fiddle Maple Platter

Poated a lighter colored one a couple weeks ago. This one was dyed black with India ink, then sanded back to add shadow to the platter. It was then stained with medium walnut. I steel wooled the stain to lighten the highlights. I applied 5 coats of lacquer (should have seal the wood with oil) just to build a decent finish. The photo of the front doesn't show the fiddle quite as well as the back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Member Illiana Woodturners

That's beautiful, Bob!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That's really beautiful looking. The wood is displayed so nicely in platter form. Nice work.
    USMC '97-'01

Beautiful as usual, Bob! You seem to come into a lot of curly maple, and you might want to give this a try. It is the chemical dye used by the early gunmakers on curly maple. I love the look of it. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/pdfs/a...structions.pdf

Truly Gorgeous Bob! Nice grain in that maple and the platter truly brings that out.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Beautiful as usual, Bob! You seem to come into a lot of curly maple, and you might want to give this a try. It is the chemical dye used by the early gunmakers on curly maple. I love the look of it. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/pdfs/a...structions.pdf
    Thanks John. Similar labor, but a little more color varience. The maple comes from one board, about 8' x 23". I know the guy who sawed it and he has the rest of the log. I may have to see how good a friend he is if I beg some more off him?
    Member Illiana Woodturners