Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buyer beware (used table saw)!!

Buyer beware (used table saw)!!

saturday, i purchased a 4yo grizzly P0715, for a decent price. after i paid for it, i found out the blade guard, riving knife and manuals were not available - not really a deal breaker.

earlier today, i was cleaning the box out and removing all sawdust the the prior owner didn't. GUESS WHAT I FOUND!

the motor mount had been broken and was brazed back together!! i spoke to the prior owner and he said i can return it for my money back. I PLAN TO!

don't get in a rush when buying used equipment. look it over VERY carefully and walk away if you get any "red flags"

Well you're lucky prior owner will take it back....
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 01-04-2016 at 12:12 PM.

You can get about any Grizzly manual online. As for the riving knife that would be only for the last couple years that they were equipped with it. There are some after market options available there I think. The blade guard is available for the current G0715P but whether it will fit an older model I wouldn't know. The repaired motor mount would be something I wouldn't like but if you bought it cheap enough. Like you said look any used machine over closely. You are lucky if the seller is willing to take it back.

What does grizzly charge for a new motor mount? Maybe get a "rebate " from the seller.

Out of my own ignorance I ask this, but how does a motor mount break after less than 4 years of use?

The model is the G0175 Hybrid not P0175 maybe the polar series.The motor mount shows available in stock at about $45 other parts on back order. Manual is available for download. Dont know what you paid for it but you say a good price. Maybe get a $45 discount from seller buy the part and live with it.

Yet another reason I only buy new.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Think you should consider yourself lucky - all I expect when I buy something used is a "tail light warranty" -- as long as the seller can still see my tail lights, I can bring it back for a refund... After that, you're on your own.

Definitely a good suggestion though to go over the equipment thoroughly before you load it up. Ask a lot of questions and be ready to walk away if things don't add up, no matter how good the deal is...

Common sense. Buying used, check out the item for any issues. Sky isn't falling.

While I understand that when one buys used goods, one ought to do due diligent. However, isn't the owner of the goods must fully disclose the condition of the items for sale? In this case, neglecting to mention such a defect is dishonest. The defect can result in bodily harm to the new operator in the future.

I'm surprised a seller who neglected to tell you about damage like that would take the saw back.

In any case, John said it best above.

I buy all my machines used.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schweikert View Post
    Common sense. Buying used, check out the item for any issues. Sky isn't falling.
    I would buy a used Lexus, but not a used Yugo. That being said, I don't think most people that buy used contractor saws should be expected to verify the strength motor mounts. Most likely, they will run a board through the saw, and if they are really diligent, check it for square. A machine this age shouldn't typically have broken motor mounts and I think its unreasonable to assume they might. I have a Bosch contractor saw that has been dropped numerous times on pavement and it has never broken a motor mount. The motor in these things aren't even that heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    I don't think most people that buy used contractor saws should be expected to verify the strength motor mounts. Most likely, they will run a board through the saw, and if they are really diligent, check it for square. A machine this age shouldn't typically have broken motor mounts and I think its unreasonable to assume they might. I have a Bosch contractor saw that has been dropped numerous times on pavement and it has never broken a motor mount. The motor in these things aren't even that heavy.
    The G0715P isn't a contractor saw; it's a hybrid cabinet saw.

If the motor mount is broken, it probably got dropped hard at some point and the weight of the motor torqued the casting. But given the size and weight of the saw, I can't see how it could have been dropped except during shipping or maybe a move between shops or something.

I personally couldn't have sold a saw in that condition without telling the buyer. But I don't expect that same level of honesty from folks I buy things from and I'm solely responsible for any bad choices I make...

If someone sells me something with a major flaw without full disclosure, I'm going to insist they make it right. Otherwise, I'm encouraging them to do it to the next person if I don't call them out on it.

Anyway, not everyone who sells a used item that turns out to be defective was doing it with malicious intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    If someone sells me something with a major flaw without full disclosure, I'm going to insist they make it right. Otherwise, I'm encouraging them to do it to the next person if I don't call them out on it.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-06-2016 at 7:40 PM.