Thread: Latest addition to the shop...

Latest addition to the shop...

Well its not a tool, but its a gloat nonetheless.

Its a photo I found when I was back home at the parents going thru the photo albums. Its the earliest known photo of myself woodworking. Near as we can figure Im about 3 years old in the photo.

Whats really cool in my mind, is that my grandfather (also named John Cavanaugh) is in the photo and he is the one that really got me into woodworking as a kid. I took a sabatical for many years, pretty much ages 12-33, but Im back now. I just wish my grandfather was still around to see all the cool toys I have in my shop...

For those of you with grandkids, I definitely encourage you to get photos working with them in the shop. This photo, despite it being old, and not exactly perfect, sure means a lot to me...

--
    John Cavanaugh
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    A valued treasure. Enjoy.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

VERY COOL Watcha building ?
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Excellent gloat! Certainly something a room full of tools couldn't replace.

Bob

Hey John,
    Great picture...the htought of those old timers taking the time to show us the ropes brings back memories for me also.

There's something in the background that "Made Milwaukee Famous" also!
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Very cool John. Always nice to have things like that around. I've got a couple pics of my Dad, brother, myself and my then 8 year old son all working together in the pits on my brother's racecar. You better believe I'm careful with those photos.

The other day I planed down the door to my daughter's room with a Stanley transitional plane that belonged to my great-grandfather, who passed away long before I was born. I wonder what he would think if he knew one of his old tools was put to use in the remodel of his great-great-granddaughter's bedroom?

Build a frame for that picture that is worthy of it's heritage, and hang it up in the shop. I'm sure it will trigger a lifetime of memories for you. Jim.

That is a cool photo John! I would cherrish that forever. Looks like my grandpas shop, down to the extra Schlitz (grandpa favored Falstaff) and the overalls hanging on a nail on the wall! Very cool!

Corey

John that is a treasure indeed. I treasure the days when my dad and granddad showed me the ropes. Brings back some memories.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Definitely a keeper, John. I wish I had a pic like that of me and my granddad in the shop. I was a bit older when he first let me do stuff in his shop, but it made a lasting impression. The shop apron I wear now was his, so maybe he's got a smile on his face.

- Vaughn

Ahhhhh!! Schlitz and RC Cola. My grandfather would frequently hand me down a bucket of tools. Most is/was junk, but a few tools have found their way to my toolbox. Hope I am able to create similar memories for my kids/grandkids.

I swear....That looks like a Norman Rockwell Painting!!!! I love Norman Rockwell art and I just can't get it out of my head that he would have painted a scene exactly like that....with no changes! Just great John.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Thats a great picture John and it brings back a lot of happy memories for me .

Thats good advice about taking a picture for your kids/grandkids. I wish I had a photo of me with either my Dad in his shop or my Granddad in his shop.