Thread: Finally took a few pics of turnings from G0766

Finally took a few pics of turnings from G0766

Nothing over the top spectacular, but work my way up to larger pieces.
    Birdhouse ornaments, Japanese Maple Lidded box; Red oak bowl, Walnut bowl; Quilt Maple bowl.

The Quilt maple was first ever use of a faceplate. The blank was an old dry chain sawn rough, and I had no idea what it was inside. These blanks were given to me by a fellow TAW member who does not turn small stuff. Most were the center small cores from his large salad bowls. The quilt is much better than the pictures show. It really shimmers as you roll it side to side.

0104160449f.jpg0104160449e.jpg0104160449d.jpg0104160449c.jpg0104160449.jpg0104160449a.jpg0104160448a.jpg0104160448.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Greenbaum; 01-04-2016 at 7:54 AM. Reason: add details
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Looks like some nice work, Mark. I would call that curly maple instead of quilted, which is an entirely different pattern.

Great job on the beads on the walnut bowl. Nice progression in size from smaller to larger.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Lookin good!!

5. Nice work, Mark. Looks like you have that 0766 dialed in! I like the maple bowl and lidded box, especially.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Nice work, Mark. Looks like you have that 0766 dialed in! I like the maple bowl and lidded box, especially.
    Thanks for the comments. I am getting to really enjoy turning at my own pace. The lathe is more capable than me. That lidded box of Japanese Maple has a twin, those were turned originally to be a multi-axis turning that I messed up on the math. So it got split in half lengthwise. I'll try the multi-axis urn on another piece of that limb later this week. I've also made an 8" diameter x 3" deep cherry bowl for my wife. She gets everything, and likes them all.

Very nice, Mark. What tool did you use to turn the three side-by-side beads?

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Very nice, Mark. What tool did you use to turn the three side-by-side beads?
    I must confess: They're not beads at all; I used my thin Sorby parting tool to create my "trademark" grooves. I was going to burn them in with a guitar string, but I haven't made that tool yet. When I get more proficient at turning, I'll actually make rolled beads, but my wife and I tend to like "less is more" shapes.

I did watch the D-Way tools videos, and like his bead cutters and that teardrop cutter. As a hand engraver, I see I probably have several teardrop gravers that would work similarly, and that would be a very easy tool to make and keep sharp.

Mark,
    Very nice job on your turnings! You are putting your new lathe to good use. Keep it up and maybe you will become the next John Keeton.

John K,
    I agree...quilted figure has a look more like closed oblongbubbles rather than long curly waves.