Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea Chest Build Pics

Blog Entries

Sea Chest Build Pics

These are some pictures of an African mahogany chest with a coopered top and a nautical theme. I built a similar chest for a 30th anniversary that is described in a earlier post and built this coopered top at the same time. This Sea chest is smaller 14 x 14 x28.

I built the coopered top first because I can’t really predict what the curve will look like when it’s finished. The rest of the chest is built around the top once it has been cleaned up/surfaced.

Here’s the framework that captures the top joined with dovetails and with interior groove to house the coopered top.
    1.jpg2.jpg

I’ve added some string inlay and carving to this chest. I’m a novice at both. Here is the Holly and tools I used to make the inlay/banding. One lesson I learned is I’m better off sawing inlaid objects out of 3/16 inch thick stock, rather than my earlier attempts to cut them out of veneer with an eX-Acto knife. This way there is less risk of planning through the inlay during final surfacing.
    3.jpg

I put a star at one side of the lid and a dolphin on the other, sawing them out with a bird’s mouth and fret saw. This would be much easier with an electric scroll saw, but not impossible by hand
    7.jpg5.jpg

One of the most difficult parts of string inlay for me is getting consistent thickness of the stringing. There are dedicated hand tools for this, but I just clamped to the bench and used a block plane to get them as close to a consistent fit with the .040 inch groove the inlay cutter makes. The small syringe for putting glue in the groove is a “must have tool”, however it’s a huge headache trying to keep the small diameter nozzle from clogging with dried glue (lots of emptying, rinsing, repeat). Once glued in, I trim the inlay with a paring chisel and plane to final flush fit.
    6.jpg

Cutting top rails to consistent length to hopefully keep the carcass square.
    8.jpg

For the vertical stiles I used a shop made crosscut jig and got fairly consistent lengths.

9.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Allen1010; 01-06-2016 at 12:18 AM.

Blog Entries
    11.jpg

The carcass sides/front back are frame & panel construction. Plowing the grooves to house the panel. I have an old Marple’s plow plane from the 70s and frankly it’s one of the most difficult planes for me to use consistently. I spent a lot of time tuning and now can get fairly consistent grooves until I’m tired and then I usually screwed up.
    10.jpg

Laying out/Cutting the M&T’s that join the vertical styles to the rails. Because the tennon cheeks are show surface, I use the paring chisel along the layout Mark to build a fence force where saw cuts.
    12.jpg13.jpg14.1.jpg14.jpg15.jpg

Layout is more complicated that looks because once the frame and panel assemblies are glued up the carcass is joined with through dovetails at the top and bottom rails. That means the baseline for the tales on the front and back rails need to line up so that when pins are cut/assembled, the carcass vertical style will lay flush with the front and back. In addition the bottom rail is a quarter inch proud of the rest of the carcass.
    Yeah I know that was impossible for me to visualize too so I had to draw a full-scale mockup to figure things out – still took me 30 minutes and two beers.
    16.1.jpg

Blog Entries
    18.jpg16.jpg

Pins are cut before the F&P carcass pieces are assembled, but tails are only Mark/cut after the F&P carcass assemblies are glued up. I didn’t do this last time and it was a real headache affecting the fit of the dovetails.
    17.jpg19.jpg20.jpg21.jpg

This time all the joinery came out nice and tight (third time’s the charm).
    22.jpg

Here are the ebony handles.
    23.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Allen1010; 01-06-2016 at 12:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    25.jpg

After fitting the lid to the back of the carcass and installing the hinges, a little planning got the lid to fit flush all the way around. If I were to do this again I would just build the lid and carcass as one assembly and saw them apart after glue up.
    24.jpg26.jpg28.jpg

Here is a “Leopardwood” till that slides inside the case with some inlay (which took forever).
    30.jpg31.jpg32.jpg

The last bit was carving a couple shells and a starfish to be applied to the case front – here’s the layout and shaping.
    33.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Allen1010; 01-06-2016 at 12:22 AM.

Blog Entries
    35.jpg

Some pictures of carving the applied shell. Excellent picture/descriptions of this are in “carving 18th-century American furniture elements” by Tony Kubalak, which I highly recommend.
    37.jpg36.jpg38.jpg39.jpg

Next is the starfish:
    40.jpg42.jpg
    And the last shell:
    43.jpg

Blog Entries
    As a novice carver one of the hardest things for me to learn was sharpening the carving tools. Here’s my set up: I made some lexan,,acrylic discs that fit on top of the Mikita motorized Whetstone and applied different grades of abrasive paper to the disks – for me this works well in combination with stripes etc.
    45.jpg44.jpg

And some pictures of the completed carvings:
    46.jpg48.jpg

Here’s some pictures of the completed chest

49.jpg50.1.jpg50.2.jpg50.3.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Allen1010; 01-06-2016 at 12:26 AM.

Blog Entries
    I forgot to mention the compass rose on the chest lid. In the past I glued in all the pieces individually which is a real white knuckle experience. This time I super glued the dark and light pieces of each triangle together and then did the final assembly – much easier.

53.jpg54.jpg51.jpg55.jpg56.1.jpg56.jpg

This is my last project for a while, need to be spending more time in the office, but appreciate the opportunity to share with my fellow Neanders.

Thanks for looking, Mike
    Last edited by Mike Allen1010; 01-06-2016 at 12:27 AM.

This is incredibly beautiful. I wish I had the skill to produce something like this.

WOW! Thank you for sharing your beautiful project with us.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Wonderful, thanks for posting these pics....

Mike - very very nice project and thanks for all the great photo's to go along with your description. I'm super impressed by what you have done here. It seems just the other day you were posting your anniversary chest and now this one so close behind is super impressive. Congratulations, well done.

PS - this is the type of thread that is most valuable here in this forum IMO. Seeing someone who puts into practice their skills and knowledge and takes the time to document things so well. I congratulate and thank you and the others who take this approach. There is so much to be learned from this type of documentation

Blog Entries
    Beautiful work, Mike! That one will make it into the house!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Exemplary work sir! Your build posts are great. Thank you.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    I forgot to mention the compass rose on the chest lid. In the past I glued in all the pieces individually which is a real white knuckle experience. This time I super glued the dark and light pieces of each triangle together and then did the final assembly – much easier.

53.jpg
    Hi Mike,
    Could you esplain how you cleaned out the material from the lid to fit in the compass point? I guessing the bulk was done with a router plane but that you carefully cut the boundary in first with a knife / chisel?