Thread: Used to be a single 4x4?

Used to be a single 4x4?

A few rip cuts, and a trip onto the lathe..
    leg stack.jpg
    One of four scrap Pine 4x4s I brought home....these are also non-treated.
    stacked legs.jpg
    "plan" is to see what I can cobble from the scraps from a Loft Bed build. Legs are 24" long
    stack of slabs.jpg
    Used to be two 4x4s....Sorted through to get five pieces, and glue up a panel. Cuts were a bit wavy...."Ve Haft Vays.." I think is the way that line goes
    scrub jack.jpg
    Scrubbed most of the high spots down
    #7 jointer.jpg
    No.7c to finish it flat. Also had a third 4x4 sawn down. It's three slabs, and the sixth from the first two can make aprons for a table.

Will post more, IF there is any interest.....

I always enjoy your builds. Is that scrub a converted No. 4?

The Scrub Jack plane used to be a Corsair C-5 Jack plane I got for....$6. Frog was designed to use just a single bolt to hold it down. There is a rib to keep the frog from twisting. Cambered iron is about 8" radius.

Just trying to see what I can cobble together, using only the pieces from those four leftover 4x4s. Might have to keep a few cut-offs, for stuff like corner blocks. Top/panel still needs some work, but letting it season a bit, first
    smooth plane.jpg
    Millers Falls sold this #4 sized smooth plane as a Mohawk-Shelburne. Paid $0.50 for it, and tuned it up.
    stash of lumber.jpg
    Top panel, and the apron stock. Plane hiding in there is a Union #5c. Paid $12 for it...

Had to cut a few apron pieces down, BIG knots near one end. Didn't need the full 3' length, anyway.

Not sure what pattern the aprons will use.....Single Brain Cell Sketch Up still working on the details....

Good project steven! You were lucky to find such a clear piece of 4x4 from the borg and its cool to see the attempt to use your offcuts for something productive.

Blog Entries
    On the matter of scrub planes, I use a narrow iron from the borg in my #3 bailey. The iron is has a severe crown. Open the slot up and it does a great job of scrubbing.

When I want to smooth with it, the good iron goes back in it.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    On the matter of scrub planes, I use a narrow iron from the borg in my #3 bailey. The iron is has a severe crown. Open the slot up and it does a great job of scrubbing.

When I want to smooth with it, the good iron goes back in it.
    Seems like a rational use of a #3!

Keep going Steven. I'm watching along with others, I'm sure.
    Jim

Might start chopping mortises tomorrow. Have a Butcher, and a New Haven to do most of the chopping part. Even have an all wood mallet to bang on them.

Might have just enough "left overs" for corner blocks, and even some wedges to help with a glue up. Figured up that IF one can find a 12' long non-treated 4x4.....that should be all they need to do this little project.

Blog Entries
    Nice camber on your plane blade Steven. You must have worked the mouth on that plane though? It looks like it is at least half again normal size? I am wondering because I have been struggling to get cambered blades to fit through the mouths of my classic Stanleys.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 01-07-2016 at 12:10 AM.

Corsair brand was made by Great Neck Tool Co. Opening is stock. I think I've even sharpened that iron once or twice since I cambered it. Hungry beastie...That C-5 is 14" long, the iron is 2" wide.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Corsair brand was made by Great Neck Tool Co. Opening is stock. I think I've even sharpened that iron once or twice since I cambered it. Hungry beastie...That C-5 is 14" long, the iron is 2" wide.

IIRC I used that plane when I visited, it is a hungry beastie indeed....