Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Book author recommendation?

Book author recommendation?

My favorite fiction author is Clive Cussler. I have all his books and have read them at least twice each. I have decided I really need to branch out a bit, and wonder if I could get some recommendations on a couple new authors I should try.

I have also gone through all the Jack Higgens, and John Grishom books, which might give you more clues to my taste. I like books that may not be in a series, but retain some of the main characters. Adventure novels based on some fact are my favorite. Cussler's Isaac Bell series is my current favorite.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 01-06-2016 at 9:07 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Louis L'Amour? _The Last of the Breed_ is a lot of fun (but pushes a bunch of my buttons, so I'm not unbiased).

Used to be Tom Clancy was my favorite author however that was long ago and his books are clearly dated, but still fun to read. I gave up on him however when he enlisted other writers to help him out. I lately have been reading similar books by Vince Vaughn, however he just died and his newest books are being put out by other authors. Anyway, both of them focus on a main character in a series. Also books featuring main character Jack Reacher (can't remember the author at the moment) and the Bosch detective series.

Blog Entries
    Two that I would reccommend
    Thomas Perry and the Jane Whitfield series
    John Sandford - any of them

Three of my favorites......Tony Hillerman.......James Lee Burke.........Michael Connelly.

Hillerman's novels will have you solving crimes often on the Navajo, Hopi or Pueblo Indian reservations in the Southwestern United States.

James Lee Burke will has a Dave Ribicheaux series that will have you solving crimes in the New Orleans or Montana areas.

Michael Connelly has several main characters that on occasion even encounter each other in the course of a novel.

I have several others that I could recommend after checking my reading diary/log.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-06-2016 at 4:54 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Connelly is a superb crime fiction writer. He was (i believe) a Pulitzer prize winning police beat writer for a paper in LA.

i can read him for his prose alone.
    Paul

I have read nearly all of W E B Griffin's works. Most are Marine Corps and the setting is pre-WW2 and forward. I find them quite interesting reading and though fiction there is some historical value to them. I like the characters he builds and the stories he tells.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Try Stephen Coonts, W. E. B. Griffin or David Poyer. David Poyer is a classmate of mine from the Naval Academy and he writes some really good Naval Action books. Many of Griffin's and Poyer's books are better read in sequence.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I like John Grisham and Mary Higgins Clark Jonathan Kellerman

Hit the library and try a book by Stephen R. Donaldson. He is known for his Thomas Covenant series of books.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_R._Donaldson

I like him but he isn't for everyone. My mother tried him at my suggestion but she couldn't get through one of his books and she always has a book or two going for as long as I can remember. My mother without a book is not my mother.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I'm not into many fiction books so I haven't read these, but Tom Selleck did a bunch of TV movies based on the Jesse Stone books. Looks like the author is Robert B. Parker and he's written maybe a dozen or more books. (My mother-in-law is a TS fan and she liked the movies. My guess is the books are probably a lot better with much more detail than a movie can fit.)
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Eric Flint's 1632 (aka Ring of Fire) series can be fun. A chunk of modern day West Virginia is transported to 1632 Germany and then things get, well, interesting.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

There’s a web site for this sort of thing: http://www.literature-map.com/

David Baldacci and Child Lee - I like both, have all books on Kindle. Highly recommend.

Ed.

William - thank you for good bookmark. Very useful and easy to use.
    Ed.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    There’s a web site for this sort of thing: http://www.literature-map.com/