Quote Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post
The pictures in my post above do not show the entire canoe because it is difficult to take photos of it due to it’s being crammed in the only space available. The length is 11.5’ and it;s width is 27” at the widest point. The double paddle (not Shown) is made of wood and is about 10’ long. There is no identification on the hoisting system but it is identical to the kayak/canoe model shown on the Hoister web site and appears to be like new. One of the floor stands is shown in the picture.

The only cross brace is shown in the seat picture. Looks like it serves as a back rest (ouch). Probably needs a cushion.

A brass plate on the bow shows the maker's name and a 1991 date. That makes it 25 years old.
It seems in very good shape for that age. Although it is seaworthy (figure of speech) I will probably refinish it with some marine or spar varnish before trying it out this Spring.

The canoe is not a kayak but should at least serve as a test boat to see if I really can sit in that position and paddle it for any length of time. That is a big concern of mine.

I’m happy with this canoe because it will answer lots of questions for me.

Pleas post your thoughts and comments.
Looks like a nice looking cedar strip canoe. The seat has me puzzled, haven't seen that design before. I wonder if it's designed to kneel on rather then sit on. You might try posting some of your questions on one of the forums linked by the attached Guillemot site. I have both a canoe and kayak. While I prefer my kayak (faster, easier to manoeuvre and more stable) if you have mobility issues which you seem to be concerned about, a canoe is easier go get in and out of and gives you more flexibility in how you sit in it (although that may not be the case for the one you have). You could consider installing a more traditional canoe seat to give you that flexibility. Perhaps someone here or at the Guillemot site might be familiar with your canoe design and could advise. You could also consider renting both canoes and kayaks to get a better idea of what works best for you and then build what you like. Anyway happy paddling.

http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guillemot/StripFamily