Thread: Router Motor

Router Motor

In Australia we do not have router motors such as the PC 7518, they just do exist as our operating voltage is 240 V, actually 220 V is closer to the truth. I have bought a Kreg lift https://www.kregtool.com/store/c35/r...er-table-lift/ and was going to put a Chinese router motor in it which has recently become available for 240V but the supplier has not got any stock so my thoughts turned to using a 110V motor (PC 7518) and a step down transformer. My question is are there any other motors besides the PC available in the US which can be had without bases etc, just the motor, collet and wrenches.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Milwaukee offers a 3 1/2 HP router that can be used in a router lift. Its the router I have in my router table and I like it very much.

Dewalt also offers a fixed base/motor arrangement that can be used similarly used. Maybe the euro versions of the dewalt offer a 220V version?

Thanks for the reply Mac, I am only interested in a bare motor with no base etc. Are these motors or full kits?
    Chris

Mac, this is the router you are referring to http://www1.milwaukeetool.com/tools/routers-and-sanders/routers/3-1-2-max-hp-fixed-base-production-router-with-electronic-variable-speed-feedback-circuitry-and-soft-start/5625-20

It has the advantage of infinite speed control where the PC has five steps.
    Chris

Blog Entries
    Although I run a couple of the Milwaukee 5625 routers in lifts and normally recommend the opposite, in your geographical case I would look into returning the lift and getting the large Triton router. I could be speaking in ignorance but, being made in AUS I would think they came in your voltages(?). Maybe the folks at Just Tools could lend a hand; might be worth a call.

P.s. I do find the continuously variable speed near mandatory now that I've had it for a decade or so ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-07-2016 at 8:32 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I never looked into it, but it seems that any router sold in Europe would run on 220 to 240 volts. Many other places in the world use 220 volts as the standard voltage and the tool companies must sell tools into those areas.

But I have no idea what is actually sold in those markets.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have been thinking about going to 110V for some time now as the range of power tools is huge compared to 220V so I am using this as the motivation to do it. Glenn, Triton to be honest does not impress me, we seem to have a lot of speed control failures and maybe that is a 220V thing, the rest of the router seems ok but I will pass. The early versions had problems with the height adjusters failing but you guys most probably never saw those as they did not have above table height adjustment. I can get a Chinese 5000 watt transformer for under $200 and that opens up more tool acquisition possibilities and he with the most toys wins! All I have to do now is decide what to buy for the router lift.
    Chris

Here is a motor only from Rockler.
    http://www.rockler.com/portamate-pm-...p-router-motor
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……