Thread: Bathroom vanity finish that looks like raw wood

Bathroom vanity finish that looks like raw wood

It's time to build a few vanities for my mom's master bathroom remodel. She likes the look of this pottery barn vanity but obviously not the cost and I assume the crappy quality. Anyway she has seen this and a few other vanities that look like they are raw wood with no finish on them. It's almost like a sheenless clear coat if something exists like that. Any ideas on how to get that raw look feel but still stand up to a heavily used bathroom environment? Thanks!

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/...h-furn-mirrors

That's a rustic look. Why not leave the wood without finish? Over time, it will just get more rustic. For those who like that rustic stuff, more rustic should be a good thing.

I wouldn't put "no" finish on it either. There are matte sheen clear coats available. I've seen them in a couple waterbased products, specifically from Rustoleum and Varathane. These actually may be the same product.

But I can't vouch to how durable they are.

I agree with Prashun. In that environment, I wouldn't want bare wood. A matte finish clear coat will help preserve the wood while giving you a no-apparent-finish look and with water borne, there's very little color, if any, imparted to the material.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    +1 on a matte finish waterborne poly. Minwax offers a satin which might be dull enough.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

General Finishes Enduro Clear Poly comes in both flat and satin sheen, and is KCMA rated. It is water clear and sprays beautifully.

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    General Finishes Enduro Clear Poly comes in both flat and satin sheen, and is KCMA rated. It is water clear and sprays beautifully.

John
    Thanks John. A flat WB poly; very cool.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler