Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw files

Saw files

Just when I decide it's time to learn how to sharpen a hand saw, suppliers discontinue their offerings due to poor quality. LN and LV both say they are looking for a new supplier...probably won't have anything until late spring. I can get Pferd (minimum 10), or Bahco, which some here have given positive reviews.

I guess my question is if these are good files why doesn't LN or LV just source those?

Blog Entries
    You can get Grobet saw files at Amazon. I bought a box of them and they are IMO good files. They are larger than the sizes most saw filing instructions tell you for fine teeth, but I don't find that to be an issue. I find they are holding up. I just checked and they are still available.

Lee Valley is changing from Grobet to Bahco. I'm not sure if that will be a complete change-over, or if they will fill-in their stocks as they sell out of the old brand. Even the Grobet files have apparently declined in quality recently. I have not inquired with Lie-Nielsen about their files but I notice they have none for sale. The file availability situation is disconcerting and certainly has an impact on hand saw users and makers.

Blog Entries
    I purchased this item on May 10, 2015.

The files I have are tough and sharp. I've had no issues with them other than the size. I don't think that the recommended size for various tooth size is relevant other than file conservation.
    I've sharpened 10 tpi and 12 tpi with the files.

One file has sharpened three saws.

If your desperate for files, you might want to try them. I was desperate and took a chance. I'm glad I did.

A side light, do you guys struggle with spelling as much as I do. When the red line shows up I have to do a google search for the correct spelling.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-07-2016 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post

The files I have are tough and sharp. I've had no issues with them other than the size. I don't think that the recommended size for various tooth size is relavent other than file conservation.

Missing link?

I got a set of 6" X-Slim taper files from Grobet USA around that same time that were clearly out of spec as you describe - the face size and toothing were closer to Grobet's own specification for a 6" Slim. Wondering if you got bitten by the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post

The files I have are tough and sharp. I've had no issues with them other than the size. I don't think that the recommended size for various tooth size is relevant other than file conservation.

If your desperate for files, you might want to try them. I was desperate and took a chance. I'm glad I did.

A side light, do you guys struggle with spelling as much as I do. When the red line shows up I have to do a google search for the correct spelling.
    Proper spelling is overrated:
    Eonverye taht can raed tihs rsaie yuor hnad..

Only great minds can read this
    This is weird, but interesting!
    fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too
    Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.
    i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuh

Even I can read that, while English isn't even my mother tongue! And back on subject, until now I am happy with the Bahco files. I like these beter then my older F.Dick files that are rather brittle on the edge. For very small teeth I use needle files, got the idea from Pedder I think.

Blog Entries
    For me I just press the control key and click on the word with the red line and correct spellings of the possible words are there to choose. Your computer may have a different operating system, but Dickinson, TX should still be on the map if it doesn't work.

BTW, I do not see a link or image of the files you purchased.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

When out on rust hunts, and auctions, I tend to keep an eye out for files. Be surprised what some just tape toghether, or throw into a coffee can....with $0.50 scralled on the tape.

Blog Entries
    http://b2bprofessionaltools.com/file...taper-saw.html

Grobet American Pattern Taper Saw File Slim 7 Inch Box of 12

The link above will show more sizes available .
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-07-2016 at 2:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Just when I decide it's time to learn how to sharpen a hand saw, suppliers discontinue their offerings due to poor quality. LN and LV both say they are looking for a new supplier...probably won't have anything until late spring. I can get Pferd (minimum 10), or Bahco, which some here have given positive reviews.

I guess my question is if these are good files why doesn't LN or LV just source those?
    I've mostly switched to Bahco and am happy with them. The one caveat is that they don't offer a 4" 2X-Slim (closed is 4" X-Slim or 5" 2X-Slim), and that opens a bit more of a gap than I like between the needle files and the smallest taper file. I stocked up on Grobet 4" 2X-Slims while they were still available.

Since the Simonds mill files turned out to be really pretty good, I ordered a Simonds saw file off ebay to try. I'll post what I find when I get a chance to file a saw, but it will be a good while until I have enough free time....more than enough sharp saws in the tills.

Thanks all for the replies and input. I suppose I'll get a few of something and give it a go.

I just picked up 2 Bahco files from http://www.blackburntools.com/new-to...les/index.html price was good shipping was cheep and fast too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Proper spelling is overrated:
    Eonverye taht can raed tihs rsaie yuor hnad..

Only great minds can read this
    This is weird, but interesting!
    fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too
    Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.
    i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuh
    Cool. I raised my hand, but that last word through me. "tghuh"? Thugh?