Thread: G0766 Set up with Duplicator

G0766 Set up with Duplicator

I know multiple of us got G0766's recently. I bought this one about 3 weeks ago. Set up was a breeze. Threw a new plug on it to match the style I use throughout my shop and started setting up my duplicator. I bought the lathe specifically for turning table legs. I know a lot of people get this lathe for bowl turning but I needed the variable speed along with the large turning capacity for my duplicator set up. As of now I do a 3.5x3.5 leg and a 5x5 leg. I have just been set up with a sawyer that is willing to cut 6x6 for me and kiln dry them for a amazing price so I will be going up a size due to the new lathe. The variable speed is needed for the larger legs as well since you really need to be turning anything over a 3.5x3.5 at around 300 or so rpm and I am assuming I will likely need to go down to around 200 for the 6x6. The lathe works like a dream for my needs. If I could complain I would say that on the website it says it has a speed of 100-3200 for both belt settings, this isn't actually true and the belt would need to be changed for speeds over 1200. It's not a big deal but I'd love to be able to speed it up when needed without changing the belt setting.

IMG_0180.jpg

2. David, my G0766 will go up to 1230 rpm on the low belt setting, and 3260 rpm on the high belt setting. I think you must not have understood the advertisement, as all of the major brand VFD lathes use at least two pulleys, some three, which have certain ranges in speed capable on each of the different pulleys.

Generally speaking for turning spindle work, like table legs, once you get the corners knocked off and go to making the coves and beads for a table leg, a higher rpm is desirable as it gives your a better surface off the tool. I would use a roughing gouge for taking the corners off, with the exception of the pummels, which I would cut with a very sharp skew chisel. For a 5x5 blank, I would likely cut at 1250-1500 rpm. Just make sure you have the blank secure between centers, and the tailstock and headstock locked down tight.

May I inquire what brand duplicator you are using in your pic? I have a duplicator that I used for a former lathe, but have not tried it on my G0766 yet.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 01-07-2016 at 12:23 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Boy, the blade in that angle grinder looks scary!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Boy, the blade in that angle grinder looks scary!
    The blade is awesome! It was not cheap but so worth it. 5 carbide cutters spinning at 5000 rpm.

That also goes with why I need to spin the spindle at such a low speed. I pull it from square to round in 2 passes it will hog out up to 1/2" of material in a single pass. The duplicator is a Viel out of Canada. I love it. I can't speak for the cut with the standard carbide cutter that comes with it. But if you buy the angle grinder attachment it's well worth it.

As far as the speed issues I talked about in my last post here is the part from the grizzly website that confused me.

Specifications:
    • Motor: 3 HP, 220V, 3-phase
    • Required power supply: 220V, single-phase, 15A
    • Swing over bed: 22"
    • Swing over tool rest: 16"
    • Distance between centers: 42"
    • 1-1/4" x 8 TPI RH headstock spindle
    • MT#2 headstock and tailstock tapers
    • Variable speed: 100–3200 RPM <--------
    • Tool rest width: 14"
    • Overall dimensions: 81" long x 49-1/2" high x 23" deep
    • Approximate shipping weight: 584 lbs.

Most lathes are listed like 100-1200,300-3200 or something along those lines. Not a big deal whatsoever just confused me a bit.

5. I did not realize you were using an angle grinder to cut the table legs......I have not seen a duplicator that uses an angle grinder. I can now understand the need for slower speeds as you are not cutting with a fixed cutter bit.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Neat looking setup you have David. How long does it take for you to turn a table leg?
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post
    Neat looking setup you have David. How long does it take for you to turn a table leg?
    From turning on the lathe to turning off including sanding to 120 about 4-6 mins each. The biggest time dump right now is milling. I use pine for my legs. I have a couple sources for rough 4x4s as well as s4s 4x4s the lumber yard that sells the s4s ones end up milling them so crooked that they are unusable. So for me to mill from rough takes about 30 mins a set. So total I end up putting a little less than an hour into a set. I am about to purchase a new planer and jointer so that will speed that process up as well. I'd like to get it down to about a half hour total.