Thread: Wood ID help??

Wood ID help??

I bought a stack of log run cherry at a woodworkers estate auction several years ago. On the bottom of the stack and included in the lot purchase was some light colored heavy rough sawn lumber. It's about 1 1/8" thick and very heavy.

I was moving the stacks to get to the cherry for a project I'm working on and decided to plane one of the unknown boards. Suprise! It's heavily traced with some sort of wood worm trails. So much so that a lot of powder was released in the planing. It is really attractive but I can't figure out what it is. Attached is a pic of this one board.

Any ideas?? I estimate it's weight to be about the same as oak, maybe a little heavier.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Combs; 01-07-2016 at 6:15 PM.

I will guess Ash, can not be sure from the pictures. Looks like powder post beetle damage.

I'm with Dennis - looks like Ash with PPB damage. Was there any fresh, really fine sawdust on top of the boards? If so you may have an active infestation.

Yes. Ash infested with powderpost beetles. Heat it to over 133 degrees F for a few hours to kill the infestation or either burn it/destroy it. You don't want to let it contaminate you other wood. Powderpost beetles are bad, bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Combs View Post
    I bought a stack of log run cherry at a woodworkers estate auction several years ago. On the bottom of the stack and included in the lot purchase was some light colored heavy rough sawn lumber. It's about 1 1/8" thick and very heavy.

I was moving the stacks to get to the cherry for a project I'm working on and decided to plane one of the unknown boards. Suprise! It's heavily traced with some sort of wood worm trails. So much so that a lot of powder was released in the planing. It is really attractive but I can't figure out what it is. Attached is a pic of this one board.

Any ideas?? I estimate it's weight to be about the same as oak, maybe a little heavier.

OMG, the dreaded Southern PPB Ash !!!!!

If that was in a stack of other lumber, I'd be VERY worried about infestation throughout. The holes mean the larvae have hatched and left home. The females tend to come back to where they were born, to lay more eggs, and you won't see new holes for 2-3 years, while the larvae do massive damage on the inside.

If I were you, I'd be semi freaking out. I'd also complain to your lumber supplier, or at least warn him.

Definitely treat all of that lumber, just in case. Use heat exposure, or Bora-Care.

Thanks for the info. That is what I guessed also. Luckily for me, I've had this for years, at least 6, and there are no signs of infestation spreading. No telling how long the woodworker that owned it originally had it stored. So, apparently the little beasties where all gone/dead before I bought it. Of course in it's unplaned state the damage wasn't visible, so I only noticed it when planing the first side.

The owner was a woodworker who passed away and the estate took some time to settle. During that time it was stored in a metal building, all closed up. In my area (OK), it probably got hot enough during the summer to kill them off. 100deg days, closed doors, metal building = well over 100 inside, 130 would be really possible.

I have some of what I believe to be white oak, that looks just like the pictures, with many fewer holes. It also came from an estate sale, where it was kept in a storeroom below the garage for years. Maybe 1/3 of the wood displays holes, with the rest looking clean.

I have sorted it all out, and see no signs of new powder on it. Does this mean it is safe to use, and the bugs left long ago?? I kind of like the idea of making some items out of it. I know I can use it for outdoor tables etc.

Need opinions, as I have no clue, and I just spent all day straight lining most of it.

On another note, I also got some pine with a little termite damage on the ends which I am cutting off. Any problem with that?
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 01-09-2016 at 1:30 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Like Allan noted, they can stay in the wood for a number of years before boring out. I don't the little devils.