Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trumpet

Trumpet

I know it's not a clever title, but it is what it is. I finally made up my mind to check a trumpet off of my bucket list. My son, daughter and I all have played trumpet, so I always wanted to see if I could make a functioning trumpet out of wood. I saw one online a few years ago made by George King from the UK and determined to make one "some day". Once I got started, I contacted Mr. King and he kindly gave me a few tips. In a recent issue of American Woodturner magazine, there was an article about turning a french horn. I was already a few weeks into the process when the article came out, but it was of particular interest to me at the time.

The valves and tuning slides are fully functional.

Woods are hard maple and African blackwood. The outside sleeve and inside of the valves are AB. The tops of the valves are mammoth ivory. The only non-wood, non-turned pieces are the springs and spring valve guides. Finish is rattle can lacquer

IMG_1673.jpgIMG_1675.jpgIMG_1678.jpg

Pretty darned impressive Eric! You should post a video of playing it!

Doug

Agree with Doug! The first thing I've seen in years that made me think of the Ripley ,Believe it or Not Museums. Quite an accomplishment.

That is awesome.

Incredible work, Eric! One of those "how did he do that" things. And, some beautiful maple, too. Exceptional!

That is an exceptional piece of work. I would stand that next to my Bach Strado any day.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

7. In my earlier life I played trumpet, French horn and at times the Barritone Horn, as was needed by the symphony, so I can appreciate this from both a musicians viewpoint as well as a woodworker. Absolutely exceptional, Eric. Just to make one, but having it functional is a remarkable achievement!

May I ask how the tone of this is compared to a brass instrument? I would suppose that it would have a more muted tone, as the wood would not give the resonance of the metal.....is that correct?

Awesome, Eric!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Blue ribbon territory Eric. Really cool piece executed well.

Amazing!! Beautiful work!

Eric, You can be proud of this accomplishment. Well done. Not many turners would have even attempted this project.

How on Earth were the 180 degree tube turns made?

BTW: Awesome. I guess a clarinet would be a piece of cake, right?
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Priceless!!!! Very beautiful. Incredible work.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Just when I thought I had seen everything...

Beautiful and spectacular work. The attention to detail and wood figure are amazing.
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    How on Earth were the 180 degree tube turns made?

BTW: Awesome. I guess a clarinet would be a piece of cake, right?
    Think of making a u shaped circlular turning...then split the circle in half...then glue the two u-shaped halves together to make one u-shaped pipe.

Eric,
    You did a fantastic job on this piece! Trying to get everything to match size wise, 20-45 degree bends, etc, was not easy. The wood is beautiful and so is your execution! W@W