Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best way to write assembly instructions

best way to write assembly instructions

Hi,

I need to write some assembly instructions, simillar to the Ikea instructions, for a product I have designed.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

Cheers,

Graham
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7

Make a PDF with step by step instructions and by step by step, I mean it. Less words, more pictures. Most people use a combination of 3D CAD renderings and actual photos. If you don't have a 3D CAD program, actual pictures should work.

If you're really serious about it, make a YouTube video.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I very rarely find instructions to be all that helpful. I'm always saying to myself "did the idiot who wrote this try to follow his own instructions.
    so my advice would be to write the instructions while your actually putting it together, step by step and leave nothing out no matter how simple you think it is. After you do that then take pictures of the process and and put corresponding words with the pictures. Then give it to tour wife or a neighbors wife and see if they can follow your instructions.Don't give it to a kid they can figure anything out LOL
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I very rarely find instructions to be all that helpful. I'm always saying to myself "did the idiot who wrote this try to follow his own instructions.
    This, or the writer/illustrator made unconscious assumptions because they designed or work with it every day.

Once you're done, hand it to someone who has never worked with your stuff before (wife? older kid?) and let them take a crack at it. If they encounter any issues, make a note of it and add a step.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

When doing the instructions for the ShapeOko 2, I found making the assembly diagrams interactive helped w/ hidden and obscured parts.

docs.shapeokodotcom

docs.shapeokodot..com/content/tPictures/PS20028-100.svg
    Last edited by Mike Null; 01-10-2016 at 9:28 AM.

Thanks for the advice. I have decided to assemble it and take some pics at various stages with a few words.

P.S. I know what you mean about the youth of today, I worked in technology all my life and designed the LAN and CATV networks for a few of the venues on the Olympic park for London 2012 but still have to ask my 12yr old nephew about this Facebook, Twitter and periscope malarkey.
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Taylor View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I have decided to assemble it and take some pics at various stages with a few words.

P.S. I know what you mean about the youth of today, I worked in technology all my life and designed the LAN and CATV networks for a few of the venues on the Olympic park for London 2012 but still have to ask my 12yr old nephew about this Facebook, Twitter and periscope malarkey.
    Make a short video!
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

You can't just assemble it once and get meaningful output.

You have to be willing/prepared to keep assembling/disassembling many times until you get it right. Get in the mindset that it takes as much work to document something completely as it does to build it from scratch.

Documentation is not just the last step in construction. Most "instructions" that I've seen could benefit greatly if the documentation process were handled as well as the original design and/or construction process.
    Paul
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Paul Lawrence LXXI

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Pace View Post
    Make a short video!
    Sadly I think I am more suited to radio than video
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7

To Turn the computer off first press the START button
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Hi,

I need to write some assembly instructions, simillar to the Ikea instructions, for a product I have designed.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

Cheers,

Graham
    We prefer to do it with cartoons and a bit of text.
    Always, one page for each step.
    Mirror-o-Matic Page 16.jpg
    Dennis

I find video instructions annoying.

I’ve also lost count of the number of such which are not updated to correct errors which I’ve pointed out, or changes to parts.

Any set of instructions must be maintained in an editable form which allows for easy up-dating.

Find some guy in China or India who barely understands the English language. Seems like those are the guys who write the instructions I tend to get. (Just a JOKE, son)

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

Can't speak for China, but India has the the second highest number of English speakers in the world

As for assembly instructions, Put a link to a Youtube video...

Ha! That reminds me of this cartoon
    Cbook.jpg
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it